Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-09-2011, 04:14 PM   #1

Share |

Basement support column is bending

I have a 4 inch diameter steel basement support column that is 9.5' tall. It looked like it was bent so I ran a plumb line from the top of the column and it landed 3 inches away from the base. So there are 3 inches of flex in the column. Is this a problem or will the steel be able to handle it?

Nagarjuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:26 PM   #2
DIY staff

Post a picture---is it bent or simply installed out of plumb?? Big difference---

Old 06-09-2011, 04:28 PM   #3
Framing Contractor

If it is bent, that is a major problem and needs immediate attention. If it is leaning, that can be a problem too, but is much easier to remedy.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:48 PM   #4

I think it was installed out of plumb since the lean is consistent throughout the length of the column.
Attached Thumbnails
Basement support column is bending-013.jpg  
Old 06-09-2011, 05:15 PM   #5
Framing Contractor

If the top is not welded, you may be able to move it over, depending on which way the beam is running. The bottom can be move, but it will require removing some concrete. I would be concerned about that.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:35 PM   #6
AfterDinnerDIY.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightten View Post
If the top is not welded, you may be able to move it over, depending on which way the beam is running. The bottom can be move, but it will require removing some concrete. I would be concerned about that.
I completely agree. Moving the column is a difficult task for the average person. I would tend to get some assistance on this one.
AfterDinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:41 PM   #7

How old is the house?
Is this an original pole in it's original place?
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:47 PM   #8

The house is about 30 years old. The column is original.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:11 PM   #9
DIY staff

I doubt if the safety of the house is compromised. Just some damn sloppy craftsmanship there.

If there is no sign of the beam itself shifting I believe you are good.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:41 PM   #10

SPEAKING OF SAFETY, aren't those pipe columns supposed to be conc filled to resist fire ? they are also supposed to be installed on individual foundations, NOT on top of the bsmt floor

at least they were in the houses i built

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:16 PM   #11
Framing Contractor

Not sure where you built, but most times they are set on footers that are just below the basement floor. You can see by the pic that the flange is covered by the floor, and it is not sitting on the floor. Never heard of any of them being filled. Maybe commercial or maybe if your using helical piers.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightten View Post
Not sure where you built, but most times they are set on footers that are just below the basement floor. You can see by the pic that the flange is covered by the floor, and it is not sitting on the floor. Never heard of any of them being filled. Maybe commercial or maybe if your using helical piers.
Any support posts I buy now are concrete filled from the steel yard. Most of the ones in the houses I've worked in, which date from the '20's to the '60's, are hollow.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:51 AM   #13
Concrete & Masonry

Hopefully you can plumb the post where it meets the beam at the top. May not be an option though depending on which way it's leaning. As Mike said, it's just plain sloppy workanship, and I don't think there's any structural reason it's leaning.

As for concrete filled posts, I haven't knowingly seen one before. The posts we use don't even have an allowance to fill them. Sounds like a good concept though..........

jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote