Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-23-2010, 06:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Basement subfloor recommendation for row house

I am currently restoring/renovating an 1874 row house. I just pulled up the existing floor to find that it had been constructed with vapor barrier placed on top of the dirt floor, pressure treated 2x4s laid flat, and plywood placed on top.

The problem is that the vapor barrier didn't extend through the basement and stopped short of the walls. The brick walls were flaking from the moisture and there were some moldy spots under the plywood.

With the old floor removed, i am debating whether to place another plywood floor down or have a slab poured. I prefer to go with the wood floor.

If I go with the wood floor, what is the best way to lay the vapor barrier when I get to the existing brick/stone walls? Should it go right to the wall, go up the wall, or get turned down into the dirt below?

Once this is down, does anyone have any recommendations for how to place the wood floor on top? Should I build joists (would require digging down into the floor)?

I appreciate any direction on this.

danftz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:28 PM   #2
STRUCTURAL

Rewards Points: 0

Concrete slab is the best and cheapest way of doing it.

ENGINEER10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:52 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 32

as you've already determined, the short-term cheapest method's more wood on top of the dirt,,, both times 'cause you'll probably wind up doing it again,,, for REAL economy long term, use conc - do it right & do it once' is a good axiom for home repairs IF you plan on staying.

1 caveat to the previous post,,, if it were ours, i'd install a below-slab water intrusion system incl provision for sump, pump, & discharge line,,, worked in too many town/row houses & leaking bsmts are a nitemare - physically & wallet challenging,,, if you've got mold now, bang out the walls & check behind them, too.
stadry is online now   Reply With Quote