Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-15-2011, 10:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4
Share |

basement subfloor

well after trying dricore last year for 1/3rd my basement and HATING it, too nosiy, too spongy way too much work to level and costs way more, I am doing the rest of my basement with Plywood and XPS foam

I calculated this at under half the cost of dricore and a lot easier to do since I can do 32 sq ft at a time...

I want to put XPS foam down straight on the concrete, some people said glue it others said dont, not sure what is best here.. tape all the seams with housewrap tape.

put foamboard glue down so each plywood sheet is glued to the xps foam

put down a layer of plywood going the opposite direction so you have perpendicular overlapping seams

use flat head tapcon screws, not sure how many you need for a sheet of plywood I've heard as little as 10 and as many as 50 and no one seems to specify a spacing pattern or should the outsides be screwed leaving the inside alone, or do it like a drywall screw pattern?...

anyone have any advice on this?

BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:18 AM   #2
Disabled wood vet

Rewards Points: 0

basement subfloor

Renting a Hilti gun or a Rochester ram set will be a lot faster then tap-cons.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy S2

titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:25 AM   #3

basement subfloor

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanoman View Post
Renting a Hilti gun or a Rochester ram set will be a lot faster then tap-cons.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy S2
it wouldn't cause any issues with pulling the plywood into the xps or anything that would cause bumps? Screws you can torque down or out, never worked with a ram set before not sure what to expect in that area with this type of project?

if i went the ramset path i still am not sure on the number of nail down points
Old 12-15-2011, 10:42 AM   #4
Disabled wood vet

basement subfloor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBSH View Post
it wouldn't cause any issues with pulling the plywood into the xps or anything that would cause bumps? Screws you can torque down or out, never worked with a ram set before not sure what to expect in that area with this type of project?

if i went the ramset path i still am not sure on the number of nail down points
They have different caliber of loads to control depth. Then you just go bang bang bang. Make sure you wear ear-plugs, esp. in a basement. I'd probably put them every 18" or so.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:09 AM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 28

basement subfloor

Quote:
well after trying dricore last year for 1/3rd my basement and HATING it, too nosiy, too spongy way too much work to level and costs way more,
Jheeeezh! FINALLY! AN HONEST PERSON WHEN IT COMES TO THE MERITS OF DRI-CORE.

Dri-Core has no merits.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:13 AM   #6

basement subfloor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Jheeeezh! FINALLY! AN HONEST PERSON WHEN IT COMES TO THE MERITS OF DRI-CORE.

Dri-Core has no merits.
at first I thought it was a great idea, until I started putting it in, then that changed fast.... after a year with it, gag me
Old 12-15-2011, 02:23 PM   #7

basement subfloor

anyone know if the XPS should be glued down to the concrete or should it just float? I've read contradicting things on that, but everyone says glue the plywood to the xps it seems like
Old 12-15-2011, 10:47 PM   #8

basement subfloor

No glue, just use t&g plywood or biscuit joint; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...g-your-basment Unless carpet, then perimeter fastening for the stretch....

Gary
Old 12-16-2011, 10:14 AM   #9

basement subfloor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
No glue, just use t&g plywood or biscuit joint; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...g-your-basment Unless carpet, then perimeter fastening for the stretch....

Gary
Yeah I found that the other day and it just leaves me with more questions

The method in figure 1 is the one I've been looking into, but it says one layer of 1/2" ply fastened or two 1/2" ply overlapping with offset joints glued... but then the article says toung and grove ply, I dont know but I've never seen 1/2" plywood that is toung and grove unless I've missed it around here... usually dont see that until you get into the 23/32 range