Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2009, 08:16 PM   #1

Share |

Basement Stair Fininshing Advice / Skirt Board

Hi all first post. I am in the process of finishing my basement, and would like to finish my stairs. Ideally add a skirt board, and carpet. I am struggling with the best method to do this. My existing stairs do not have a gap on either side to insert a skirt board, should I take down my stairs, trim 2 inches off each tread and reassemble and put back up? Or should I Cut / notch the skirt board to fit (stairs are not perfect) Any advice would help. Thanks K2
Attached Thumbnails
Basement Stair Fininshing Advice / Skirt Board-dsc03799.jpg   Basement Stair Fininshing Advice / Skirt Board-dsc03800.jpg   Basement Stair Fininshing Advice / Skirt Board-dsc03801.jpg  
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:48 AM   #2

Basement Stair Fininshing Advice / Skirt Board

I'm no carpenter but two thoughts:
1. Current stair treads have a fairly sharp edge at the step edge. Might cause wear-through on carpeting over time. You could install risers on the face of each stair with a rounded edge to fix this issue as well as give you a riser.
2. Potential problem with suggestion 1 above is tread might be too narrow once you add on the riser; someone on here or elsewhere can give you proper tread/riser dimensions.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basement finishing, skirt board, stairs