Basement Sound Deadening - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2011, 11:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Basement Sound Deadening

So I am in the midst of finishing my basement and want to deaden the sound between the basement and main floor. My friend cut the foam sheets and tacked them to the ply between his joists. This worked okay, but buying that much foam board is just absurd. Batts are to expensive for this idea. I was thinking of using the spray foam insulation (The open cell stuff) but had a question for anyone that has used it before. Can I just spray a thin layer up between my floor joists and expect it to adhear to the ply nicely and not worry about it falling in the future? I will be drywalling the ceiling where no water pipes run.

Advertisement

DAdams982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:45 PM   #2

Basement Sound Deadening

I would go with a rockwool for sound deadening batts. Much better than foam and it provides an additional fire supression quality. For additional noise reduction use sound bar between the floor joist and drywall.

Advertisement

masterofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:10 PM   #3
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

Basement Sound Deadening

You'd be better off hanging 2 x 1/2" or 5/8" drywall layers to deaden sound. Rockwool will help, but mass is king in sound deadening. The best is to provide a seperate hanging structure to hang from but that is difficult and most expensive.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:37 PM   #4

Basement Sound Deadening

Not to familiar with rockwool. Is that cheaper than fiberglass batts?

Since it was basement work, I was trying to avoid using anything thicker on the ceiling, was going to go minimal for headroom.

I am fine with some sound travel, not trying to proof it or anything, but dont want to hear every last thing in the basement in the middle of the night.
DAdams982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:31 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

Basement Sound Deadening

I just did my basement using roxul safe and sound. Sheet rock goes up next week and so far I can already notice a difference.
nsanto17 is offline   Reply With Quote