Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2010, 03:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Basement soffits and ceiling

I followed the advice I received after searching but it didn't seem to work.

I am creating soffits around my duckwork and steel beams in my basement. I tried to use a powder acuated gun to shoot right into the steel when attaching the wood, and this didn't work at all.

What do you do?

Also, can I just attach the drywall to the bottom of the 1st floor joists? Or should I run 1x2s perpendicular across for a uniform distance? I would rather not lose the headroom though.

Thank you!

wesley8808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:39 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 92

Basement soffits and ceiling

Second question first---Sure you can attach the drywall directly to the bottom of the floor joists--

Most people aren't that lucky--often a 2x2 is nailed to the bottom of the joist in order to clear conduit,pipe and wires.

Soffiting in a basement can be done many ways----a picture will get you the best help on that--

I use plywood or OSB and 2x2s--no framing---a picture is needed---Mike---Hope you can figure it out.

oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote