Basement Sloping And Subfloor Install - Question - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-17-2010, 06:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Question

Basement sloping and subfloor install - question

Hi,
I need to finish the basement and I am planning to add a sub-floor. In certain area of the basement there is a floor drain and the concrete is sloping towards it. The slope is not excessive. How do I set-up the sub-floor?

Do I:

1 - Level the sub-floor throughout the basement including the drain area?

2 - Level the sub-floor throughout the basement excluding the drain area where the sub-floor also slopes towards the drain?

Thank you kindly.

Advertisement

globus999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:29 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,046

For a built up subfloor on joists I would level it throughout. That is, if the new raised floor is not intended to be hosed down frequently and I cannot think of any examples why.

Simplicity would be an excuse for not leveling a non-joist subfloor at all; merely lay it on the concrete (atop plastic honeycombing e.g. Dricore (tm) to permit air circulation and prevent rotting). But "no" leveling may be difficult to accomplish since the subfloor cannot bridge the low spots without being supported, otherwise cracking and other problems would result.

Advertisement

Last edited by AllanJ; 06-17-2010 at 09:33 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:17 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
For a built up subfloor on joists I would level it throughout. That is, if the new raised floor is not intended to be hosed down frequently and I cannot think of any examples why.
TX! I thought so, but I am a newbie in this. Related question. I am planning to build a subfloor with 2x4 on the thin side (not on the flat side) in order to have about 3.5 in of expanded polystyrene between sleepers. Long story, but the floor needs to be *exceedingly* well insulated thermically.

How do I ensure that the sleepers are leveled and flat? I was thinking about building the frame with the sleepers, then set it in place and shimming where necessary. To repeat this process with structures until the entire floor is covered. This way I should be able to get it flat and leveled. Would this work? Is there a simpler process?
globus999 is offline   Reply With Quote