Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-12-2011, 11:13 AM   #1

Share |

Basement sandstone white coated wall chipping away

Hello,

So, my basement is a sandstone (I think) foundation. The walls have a plaster like bumpy coating on them that is 1/8 " or so thick. It's chipping away in spots and exposing the sandy stone behind it.

Basically, how do I fix this? I've read about Dry-lok, Theroseal, and possibly using mortar to create a base to apply the dry-lok/theroseal, etc coating to?

I don't want to get into big money. So, basically, I want to do a 'touch-up' type of job. But, I'm willing to not totally cheap out on it.

Here are some pictures of the areas with problems. And, I've also shown some close ups of a few good spots.

http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h51/tksmr2/Basement/

Thanks!!!!!

Todd

toddmkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:35 AM   #2

if you don't want to invest the $$$ to protect your home's foundation properly, just chip off the loose stuff,,, if that's too much trouble, just wait & it'll fall of all by itself

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
if you don't want to invest the $$$ to protect your home's foundation properly, just chip off the loose stuff,,, if that's too much trouble, just wait & it'll fall of all by itself

I don't have any water problems. Most of the reason it's chipping is because there is no de-humidifier in the basement. I don't plan on living here for more than one more year.

I'm willing to put some money into it. I'm not willing to put thousands of dollars into it though.

I have a de-humidifier in place now.

I'm willing to chip off all the loose stuff, and repair and re-coat the damaged areas. Just don't know how to go about using the right materials to fix the areas that are chipped off, or will be chipped off.

Thanks
Old 03-13-2011, 03:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddmkl View Post
I don't have any water problems. Most of the reason it's chipping is because there is no de-humidifier in the basement. I don't plan on living here for more than one more year.

I'm willing to put some money into it. I'm not willing to put thousands of dollars into it though.

I have a de-humidifier in place now.

I'm willing to chip off all the loose stuff, and repair and re-coat the damaged areas. Just don't know how to go about using the right materials to fix the areas that are chipped off, or will be chipped off.

Thanks
It's not the dehumidifier, or it's lack that's causing the issue. Moisture is travelling through the mortar joints between the rocks and coming out inside the basement.
You want to minimize the water issue around the houses perimeter, then do the repairs.
You can probably use a stucco or a mortar mix to fill in the areas.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
It's not the dehumidifier, or it's lack that's causing the issue. Moisture is travelling through the mortar joints between the rocks and coming out inside the basement.
You want to minimize the water issue around the houses perimeter, then do the repairs.
You can probably use a stucco or a mortar mix to fill in the areas.
Ron

Thanks Ron. What steps other than caulking open areas were water can seep can I do to minimize the water issue? The only areas were I can see were water can go through is at the bottom of my porch steps outside after the caulking wears away.

Thanks!
Old 03-13-2011, 06:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddmkl View Post
Thanks Ron. What steps other than caulking open areas were water can seep can I do to minimize the water issue? The only areas were I can see were water can go through is at the bottom of my porch steps outside after the caulking wears away.

Thanks!
There is no foundation caulking. As I said previously, you need to direct the water away from the foundation. Clean gutters, extended leaders and proper grading away from the house.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:09 AM   #7

that looks like whitewash - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitewash

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote