Basement Reno - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-11-2010, 11:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement reno

I am about to take on the task of remodeling my 50year old basement. I have to do this because on going water leaking in from the foundation . The basement walls are laid brick, and the inside insulation is the old 2' foam type. All now is out of code and cold in the winter. The first step is to get the water problem taken care of. In that process, we will rip out all inside walls. I will need to build new frames for all walls and do some re-wiring in places to meet our needs. After the new frames are up, I am woundering what type of insulation is best for basement ? and to run the vapor barrier between the drywall and the insulation? Also, do I need to sucure the base of the wall frame to the floor be concrete drill studs. ?
Thanks for any info.

Advertisement

Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Basement reno

I would think the thing to do to stop the leaking would be to dig outside and waterproof the outside walls and install a drain system along the outside walls?

Something like this...
https://sprestorators.com/images/ext...ain_system.jpg

Or this...

http://www.profoundationtech.com/ima...g/exterior.jpg

Advertisement

Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Basement reno

We have looked at both options (inside and out ) on fixing the water problem. 50% of the house is surounded with concrete sidewalk or interlocking stone patio. All the interlock I laid myself. To rip all it up would cost 2 or 3 times more that doing it from the inside. Then we would have to deal with landscaping all over again.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:28 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Basement reno

Well, first establish what the water leak is all about...I mean there's never a 'good' water leak but people see things differently so it comes down to what you mean exactly by 'leak'.

But there's another current thread on here about basement insulation in Canada, so read that to find out the way to do things up here...
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote