Basement Remodel - Whats The Order? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-28-2011, 10:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Basement Remodel - Whats the Order?

k - New to forum, Intermediate experienced DIY'er. 1940 house in cold, north location with snow from Nov to Apr...
  • Entire house needs Electrical update / reorganize
  • HVAC needs serious work and moving / re-routing
  • plumbing. Don't get me started! Entire house could use re-plumbed (include sewer lines in that.)
  • Basement: needs walls moving, outside walls all need insulating, and 1/3 of it needs finishing (just figure we're starting over 100% on the basement), add a bathroom with flush up toilet (or equivalent).
  • Windows all need replacing & e-gress windows installed.
Where do I start?

Upstairs isn't so bad. Bathroom could use a remodel and moving fixtures around, but doing that means we need access to the basement to put the plumbing in for it. All the plumbing and gas lines are exposed downstairs, so it's easy access while the basement is unfinished. But if we mess with one system it effects another. I feel we just go around in circles and just don't know which to tackle first, and what - exactly - the order to do these in. I'd hate to get one project done, just to find when doing the next one, I've got to re-do the first. :s

Suggestions? Ideas?

Advertisement

LMNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Impossible to guess what your decision will be, but my guideline is: Do the structural necessities first; do the cheapest and/or easiest things that save money next; then the more spendy, time-consuming things that save money. Move on to aesthetic things last. Disrupt one room at a time, if possible, and FINISH it. Good luck. You have a second job of many months ahead of you.

Advertisement

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jklingel For This Useful Post:
LMNO (12-28-2011)
Old 12-28-2011, 10:52 PM   #3
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,318

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMNO View Post
k - New to forum, Intermediate experienced DIY'er. 1940 house in cold, north location with snow from Nov to Apr...
  • Entire house needs Electrical update / reorganize
  • HVAC needs serious work and moving / re-routing
  • plumbing. Don't get me started! Entire house could use re-plumbed (include sewer lines in that.)
  • Basement: needs walls moving, outside walls all need insulating, and 1/3 of it needs finishing (just figure we're starting over 100% on the basement), add a bathroom with flush up toilet (or equivalent).
  • Windows all need replacing & e-gress windows installed.
Where do I start?
Suggestions? Ideas?
Find a good RE agent and sell.
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:58 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Laugh Out Loud!
LMNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:19 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

I don't think Tar is kidding, and has a good point. Sometimes it is cheaper to find another place. Either way, good luck.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:37 PM   #6
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,318

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklingel View Post
I don't think Tar is kidding, and has a good point. Sometimes it is cheaper to find another place. Either way, good luck.
I'm not kidding.
Discretion is the larger part of valor and all that applies to DIY too.

TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:43 PM   #7
Too Old

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMNO View Post
k Where do I start?

Upstairs isn't so bad. Bathroom could use a remodel and moving fixtures around, but doing that means we need access to the basement to put the plumbing in for it. All the plumbing and gas lines are exposed downstairs, so it's easy access while the basement is unfinished. But if we mess with one system it effects another. I feel we just go around in circles and just don't know which to tackle first, and what - exactly - the order to do these in. I'd hate to get one project done, just to find when doing the next one, I've got to re-do the first. :s

Suggestions? Ideas?
Did you buy this house? If it was handed down then I understand but if you bought it this is going to be a long project with many changes.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:24 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,046

Step #1 replace the roof.

Step #2 clean out entire house and basement of clutter and trash. Take one utility at a time and totally replace all the mains with valves and circuit breakers then take one room at a time and completely renovate before moving on.
do the basement last because you will be pulling wires and pipes all over the place supplying the above floors with new utility's.

Advertisement

COLDIRON is online now   Reply With Quote