DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Basement Remodel - Whats the Order?

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  COLDIRON 
#1 ·
k - New to forum, Intermediate experienced DIY'er. 1940 house in cold, north location with snow from Nov to Apr...
  • Entire house needs Electrical update / reorganize
  • HVAC needs serious work and moving / re-routing
  • plumbing. Don't get me started! Entire house could use re-plumbed (include sewer lines in that.)
  • Basement: needs walls moving, outside walls all need insulating, and 1/3 of it needs finishing (just figure we're starting over 100% on the basement), add a bathroom with flush up toilet (or equivalent).
  • Windows all need replacing & e-gress windows installed.
Where do I start?

Upstairs isn't so bad. Bathroom could use a remodel and moving fixtures around, but doing that means we need access to the basement to put the plumbing in for it. All the plumbing and gas lines are exposed downstairs, so it's easy access while the basement is unfinished. But if we mess with one system it effects another. I feel we just go around in circles and just don't know which to tackle first, and what - exactly - the order to do these in. I'd hate to get one project done, just to find when doing the next one, I've got to re-do the first. :s

Suggestions? Ideas?

See less See more
#2 ·
Impossible to guess what your decision will be, but my guideline is: Do the structural necessities first; do the cheapest and/or easiest things that save money next; then the more spendy, time-consuming things that save money. Move on to aesthetic things last. Disrupt one room at a time, if possible, and FINISH it. Good luck. You have a second job of many months ahead of you.

#3 ·
k - New to forum, Intermediate experienced DIY'er. 1940 house in cold, north location with snow from Nov to Apr...
  • Entire house needs Electrical update / reorganize
  • HVAC needs serious work and moving / re-routing
  • plumbing. Don't get me started! Entire house could use re-plumbed (include sewer lines in that.)
  • Basement: needs walls moving, outside walls all need insulating, and 1/3 of it needs finishing (just figure we're starting over 100% on the basement), add a bathroom with flush up toilet (or equivalent).
  • Windows all need replacing & e-gress windows installed.
Where do I start?
Suggestions? Ideas?
Find a good RE agent and sell.

#7 ·
k Where do I start?

Upstairs isn't so bad. Bathroom could use a remodel and moving fixtures around, but doing that means we need access to the basement to put the plumbing in for it. All the plumbing and gas lines are exposed downstairs, so it's easy access while the basement is unfinished. But if we mess with one system it effects another. I feel we just go around in circles and just don't know which to tackle first, and what - exactly - the order to do these in. I'd hate to get one project done, just to find when doing the next one, I've got to re-do the first. :s

Suggestions? Ideas?
Did you buy this house? If it was handed down then I understand but if you bought it this is going to be a long project with many changes.

#8 ·
Step #1 replace the roof.

Step #2 clean out entire house and basement of clutter and trash. Take one utility at a time and totally replace all the mains with valves and circuit breakers then take one room at a time and completely renovate before moving on.
do the basement last because you will be pulling wires and pipes all over the place supplying the above floors with new utility's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.