Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2010, 02:17 PM   #1

Share |

Basement project

well my parents this week are getting a competely new foundation (yeah a whole new one) the basement was previously finished but had to be gutted to redo the foundation... so now it is 8" cinder block walls the old one was 6" I believe, it defintatly was not as deep... but anyways... what is the best way to finish the inside? I convinced them while the outside is dug up to have the company install 2" XPS foam insulation... so this is what I think they are doing... new brick, then water seal it with that black tar stuff, then put the foam insulation over that...

just to make sure the builder does this right, do you seal the cracks on external XPS foam like you do internally? or does the tar take care of that?

but the real question is how to finish the inside? since there is 2" of XPS outside, couldn't we just take some 2X4's and attach them to the concrete block with tapcon screws and use them as furring strips, then drywall over that? seems almost to simple of a solution

BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:32 AM   #2

Basement project

no suggestions / comments?

BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote