Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2008, 12:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement project

Planning to finish off a basement. Working with a concrete floor and need to install treated base plates. Have heard so many opinions about how to do it but would like to keep it as simple and inexpensive as possible without sacrificing quality (in this case, stability). Have seen the following:
  • liquid nails
  • liquid nails + some sort of fasteners
  • tapcon
  • nails + wire (side by side)
  • etc.............
Our basement is very dry. Been here 4 years with no issues whatsoever. Is it possible to do this with liquid nails only or will the tendency for the boards to twist overcome the stability provided by the nailing of the top plate and studs? Thanks for any and all comments?

rjamesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 12:39 PM   #2
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,028

Basement project

I generally shoot bottom plates down with a powder actuated tool. (Ramset, Hilti, etc.) It is the quickest and easiest in my opinion. On small plates (4" - 8") I use glue and pre-drill before shooting to keep the piece from splitting. You COULD use just glue, I suppose. Just be sure it's completely dry before you start framing and use a liberal amount. And be sure your plates are absolutely straight. You won't be able to pull any bows out of them unless you use fasteners. I'd recommend at least a few tapcons with the glue to hold things until the glue sets. (Or rent a gun and shoot.)

Old 10-11-2008, 12:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Basement project

The only two options I would consider are shooting the plate down or using tapcons. If you use tapcons, be sure to get the right size of masonry bit for your hammer drill or they won't work.

Liquid nails isn't a really good long-term option for doing this in my opinion.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 01:03 PM   #4
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,028

Basement project

Good point about the bit.......one usually comes in the box, but get some extras. And a hammer drill will make life easier if you have one. If you have to rent one, you're just as well off renting a "shot" gun. Again, if it were me, I would not rely on glue only either.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:03 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Basement project

I am a tapcon guy. Mainly because I have a hammer drill.

If you get your screws at Fastenal they have the correct size drill in the box. (Disclaimer: I have a lot of stock in FAST).