Basement Problems 2 Poured Slabs - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2006, 03:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement problems 2 poured slabs

I purchased a home with a wet basement,so I cut a10 inch section around the perimeter then jackhammered it up I found I had 2 poured slabs!
The first 3 inches then the original about 5 inches in so areas 10+total.
Is there any fix or product I could try before jackhammering the rest.

Advertisement

madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 12:02 PM   #2

You don't explain why you are jackhammering the slab. You could try waterproofing the basement internally - the cavity drainage option doen not require any surface preparation.

Advertisement

Jamponto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:45 AM   #3

The most common reason to find 2 separate floors is an ill attempt at fixing a water leakage problem. Someone poured a second floor with the hope it would "seal" the water out. The reason this doesn't work is because there is hydrostatic pressure underneath the basement. When the concrete expands and contracts, it allow openings for water "under pressure" to enter through. You need to eliminate relieve the hydrostatic pressure by installing a drainage system. You can find some more info at http://www.b-dry.com/hydrostatic-pressure-relief.html
Robbie245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 07:47 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Are you sure that "second slab" isn't a footer?

My basement slab was a poor job and is like swiss cheese. The rising water table floods me. I simply installed a sump pump tub and the pump relieves the pressure before it rises to the level of my floor.

My house is high so I don't get seepage through the walls. If this is your problem you need to deal with the water outside your walls first by improving your surface drainage or adding foundation drainage. You may already have something in place and it's simply not functioning correctly anymore.

Best wishes,

Steve
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote