DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Basement posts for staircase

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  joecaption 
#1 ·
Hello,

I would like to replace an old post in the basement supporting the stairs (probably the basement stairs and main level stairs). I want to replace it because it seems to be in the wrong location and i would like more space in a tight spot.

It is supporting the stairs on a joist that is already supported by the main beam (see photo). I believe the post should be on the first joist that has been cut in order to have built the stairs.

My question is about the type of jack posts I can use to support the stairs. Do these have to be single structure posts or can I use adjustable telescoping (2 piece) posts? Any help, thoughts, comments would help me out greatly.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Back up and take another picture so we can see the framing at the top.
That support under the post is all wrong, should have been a header between the floor joist so it was fully supported not just sitting 1/2 way on a stack of wood.
There should have been a footing under it all the way down to the ground.
With a longer coloum all that blocking could have been done away with.

#7 · (Edited)
do these help?

in the photos below the post with the 2x8 braced together is holding a joist that runs from the foundation to the main beam which can see in the other photo that is held up by a properly used and placed beam.

The photo with the staircase support should show you the joists in question along with the staircase itself.

Attachments

#9 ·
That column is really important----the rim joist along the stair opening is supported by a single floor joist--and that post---without that post,right where it is--you will need to triple up the supporting ,single, floor joist---

That is a guess---you need someone with structural/framing knowledge to look at it---

#11 ·
Supports done wrong like that are the main reason most old houses have sagging floors all around the stairway.
Amazing it did not just pop out and tip over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.