Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-29-2010, 10:18 AM   #1

Share |

basement partition walls

I am in the middle of a basement remodel. The time has come for me to frame around my HVAC, just before i started I had the thought of suspending a partition wall from my floor joist using I-bolts and hooks at the top of the walls, I am still trying to figure out how to attach the bottom. I figure this will give me another few feet of usable space all the way around. When i need to access the HVAC i can simply lift the panels off the bolts, have a go and then put the panels back when i am done. i figure i would use 2x3 or even metal studs for the frame and 1/4 drywall. So my question is has any body ever does this and if so how did it turn out? I have not checked with the local codes or building inspectors yet, i am still in the idea phase. BTW I do have a gas furnace and water heater don't know if that matters. Thanks in advance. Pat

this is also posted in the remodeling forum.

Mobeer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:43 AM   #2

basement partition walls

If you're going to partition the basement, and leave the furnace and water heater in a smaller enclosed space, you have to make sure they'll still have adequate combustion air. You'd need to start by getting the manufacturer's specs, and also your local building and fuel/gas codes.

If both units are "direct vent" appliances, then you're fine (no need to do the above). Just make sure you leave adequate space around them for servicing.

Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote