Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-08-2008, 02:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement Option

We're beginning the process of building a house. One end of the house has a sunken room, and the basement has a lowered ceiling as a result. They are offering three options, sinking the entire basement, sinking the basement under the sunken room or leaving it. We want to sink at least part of it, but is there any structural problems with only sinking part of it?

I will be finishing the basement myself and intend on making the sunken basement area the HT room and we love the idea of stepping down into it. We are jsut concerned about future basement problems the concrete step would cause.

phenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:48 PM   #2
Custom Cabinet Maker

Rewards Points: 500

Basement Option

sink entire basement; almost no extra work or material. In the end a flat ceiling will be so much better looking. Yes I said flat cause if you dont want to step it then all you do is lower the higher end and run flat across.

skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:15 PM   #3
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

Basement Option

Debbie Downer Alert - Do you really want to buy a house that needs this sort of work to make you a happy homeowner. It's a buyer's market, keep looking (which is why I am sure they are willing to work with you at all on this).
Old 04-08-2008, 06:29 PM   #4

Basement Option

What, If any, drainage issues would arise from a sunken pit in the middle of a foundation If the plan calls for 7'10" walls you can go 9 footers and and leave 7'10" for the sunken part(no idea whats goin on with your plan so i could just be spewing nonsense here). Going 9+ on foundation walls does bring in a premium though.
NHERal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:32 PM   #5
BuilderRemodeler

Rewards Points: 75

Basement Option

If the work is done correctly and what is being said I am interpreting correctly there should be no structural concerns one way or the other. More Work Is Made for the Concrete Contractors, the framers, and the HVAC Techs but structurally I have seen it done each of the ways mentioned. When laid out correctly on the original plans there should be no problems.
darylbrands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:35 PM   #6
BuilderRemodeler

Basement Option

Be Sure To KnowYour Water Table Levels.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:37 PM   #7
BuilderRemodeler

Basement Option

Excavation Dollar Amounts will be extra If Home needs to be raised two feet and soil is being brought in.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:07 PM   #8

Basement Option

Thanks for everyone's help, we have gone with the partial sink, we checked the water table and we're dry. If there are any problems we encounter I'll make sure to let everyone know.

phenz is offline   Reply With Quote