Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2011, 10:14 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Basement that is only half dug out please help

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I am purchasing a house that was built in 1945, I plan on enlarging the house due to the fact it is only 740sqft. The basement right now has a external bilco door entrance. With only a 5 x 10 ft area usable right now and the rest has retaining walls and just soil backfilled. I would like to open up the retaining wall on the 1/3 and 2/3 to make one large basement, I understand i will have to lay new footings possibly add steel , no big deal. My only question is, once i open the retaining wall and start removing the soil. are there going to be footings on the existing block foundation walls? I don't want to start this project and find out there is nothing below the block. When a block wall foundation is constructed is there always a footing to hold that wall in place? Please help
Ken

kleakak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:54 PM   #2
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleakak View Post
Thank you for taking the time to read this. I am purchasing a house that was built in 1945, I plan on enlarging the house due to the fact it is only 740sqft. The basement right now has a external bilco door entrance. With only a 5 x 10 ft area usable right now and the rest has retaining walls and just soil backfilled. I would like to open up the retaining wall on the 1/3 and 2/3 to make one large basement, I understand i will have to lay new footings possibly add steel , no big deal.

As someone who constructs foundations and has done full underpins to homes in the past, I wouldn't exactly file this under the "no big deal" catergory.

My only question is, once i open the retaining wall and start removing the soil. are there going to be footings on the existing block foundation walls? I don't want to start this project and find out there is nothing below the block. When a block wall foundation is constructed is there always a footing to hold that wall in place? Please help
Ken
You should find footings under the block walls. What you will likely also find is that the foundation walls are only deep enough to get below your locale's frost line. Here that would be 48", which is on the deeper end of the country, yet doesn't make for decent basement height...........

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:30 AM   #3

If you want an expanded basement, I would support the house and dig under it, removing everything that's there and put in the foundation depth you want.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote