Basement Leak - Not Sure Where The Source Is - Need Suggestion? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2010, 02:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement Leak - Not sure where the source is - Need suggestion?

Hi,

My house is constructed in Oct' 2005. I finished my basement last year only. Its a walkout basement. I tried to water the lawn yesterday. So I used the outside pipe near my garage door. I heard strange sound inside my house. Later today when I went down to check my water reading, I noticed that there was a leak in the corner of the basement. This is the area where i have water pipes. I have not finished the floor for this area alone. I was not sure how the water came in. On the outside, this is the corner where my driveway ends near the foundation wall of the house.

I took few snaps outside as well as inside. Is this any major issue? Is this anything related to structural concern? Can it be fixed easily? This is the first time I noticed the leak. Not sure how to fix it or where to begin?

Please guide me.
Attached Thumbnails
Basement Leak - Not sure where the source is - Need suggestion?-img_3276.jpg   Basement Leak - Not sure where the source is - Need suggestion?-img_3271.jpg   Basement Leak - Not sure where the source is - Need suggestion?-img_3272.jpg   Basement Leak - Not sure where the source is - Need suggestion?-img_3275.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by PJ5791; 04-21-2010 at 03:27 PM.
PJ5791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:56 PM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,506

Hit the spot with a hose and try to make it leak, then you'll know.

Turn all the water off in the house and see if the water meter is moving. If it is then you have a pipe leak.

Advertisement

Last edited by kwikfishron; 04-21-2010 at 04:59 PM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,256

Your frostproof spigot might have frozen this winter (especially if you left the hose attached during a freeze). The portion of the spigot downstream of the valve will crack but not leak till you water the lawn in the spring. The strange sound is water running where it's not suppose to.

Don't ask me how I know. LOL
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jogr For This Useful Post:
PJ5791 (04-21-2010)
Old 04-21-2010, 07:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

jogr,

Yes, by mistake I forgot to remove the hose and it was connected to the faucet the whole winter. Probably it might have frozen.

I tested the faucet today and looks like you were right. It started leaking as soon as I opened the pipe. Do I need to do anything with the basement floors and walls also apart from the fixing the faucet? If I try to dry the walls will I still get mold?

Let me know.

Thanks again,

PJ.

Last edited by PJ5791; 04-21-2010 at 07:13 PM.
PJ5791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:16 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,256

If you can get it dried fast enough you won't get mold. Put fans blowing on it as best you can.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote