Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-03-2010, 11:41 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Basement leak. Can I remove these bricks without creating an eyesoar for my neighbors

I've been overwhelmed by a basement leak for over a year now. I'm a very new DIY'er so the advise I got on this topic was a little above my skill level last year, but I think I'm now ready to tackle this project!! Here's my post last from last Summer Need help sealing foundation leak (townhouse) with several pictures. BTW - Thanks Again JOMAMO45. It took some time to process your advise, but I think I get it now.

So, after A LOT of careful consideration I'm thinking of just removing my brick veneer and replacing it with siding all the way down. This will ensure I expose any mold/mildew between the brink and foundation, is a cheaper fix, and will allow me to get to any future problems.

MY QUESTION:
Will it look okay if I replace my brick with siding, or are my neighbors going to hate me?????? What do you guys think?

My residence is between the blue and white door.

THANKS!!!!
RickDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:47 AM   #2

Basement leak. Can I remove these bricks without creating an eyesoar for my neighbors

DO you have any sort of HOA, rules to abide by ?
Sometimes they want everything to look the same
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:54 AM   #3

Nope!! This was a starter home and I don't plan to be here long. My neighbors are 50/50 home owners and renters, but no HOA. 'Most' of my neighbors care about the appearance of their 6' lawn (haha) so I don't what to do anything that's too crazy or offensive.

As you can see, each house is kinda recessed from the other so it gives it a little individuality. I really don't think it would look bad (and I also believe it will be MUCH cheaper then paying a mason to redo the brinks).

What do you think??
Old 04-03-2010, 12:13 PM   #4
Mod

I don’t think the brick is your problem. I can see a gap between the brick and siding and no flashing detail.
kwikfishron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:23 PM   #5

In your shoes, I wouldn't do it.

If I were your neighbor, I'd be irritated. And you're going to potentially hurt your resale value.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jack Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:36 PM   #6

Okay, so you're suggesting to put the brick back up??? I don't see how the mold and OSB can be addressed properly without removing the brick.

As for resale value, my house is maxed out there. The inside of my house is better then most my neighbors (hardwood floors, lighting, finished basement, and a bar). I don't foresee getting anything back for any future improvements.

Thanks
Old 04-05-2010, 09:31 PM   #7

bump back to the first page.... Any other suggestions????
Old 04-06-2010, 08:57 AM   #8
Concrete & Masonry

Rick, glad to help you understand whats involved here. This is a fairly big undertaking. I think you need to put the brick back up for asthetic purposes. Matching brick into existing in a case like this may not be a DIY project, but it all depends on your own skill set. Also, I don't think you'll find siding that matches the existing, sun-beaten vinyl siding. Even if you found extra original siding, it won't match now as it hasn't had the same sun exposure.

You REALLY need to take some siding off above the brick to find out how large of a problem you have here before getting any good grasp on actual costs.

Best of luck, & thanks for sharing the pics. It's good for others to witness just how important proper flashings & WRB's are to the survival of today's construction. Even more important is the application of these materials, and it seems less & less people have a true understanding to the entire process.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:35 AM   #9
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
Rick, glad to help you understand whats involved here. This is a fairly big undertaking. I think you need to put the brick back up for asthetic purposes. Matching brick into existing in a case like this may not be a DIY project, but it all depends on your own skill set. Also, I don't think you'll find siding that matches the existing, sun-beaten vinyl siding. Even if you found extra original siding, it won't match now as it hasn't had the same sun exposure.

You REALLY need to take some siding off above the brick to find out how large of a problem you have here before getting any good grasp on actual costs.

Best of luck, & thanks for sharing the pics. It's good for others to witness just how important proper flashings & WRB's are to the survival of today's construction. Even more important is the application of these materials, and it seems less & less people have a true understanding to the entire process.
I couldn’t agree with you more. He has leaks in the basement and is assuming the brick is the problem, I bet it’s not. You can see in the picture there is no flashing detail over the brick. I bet if he hit that spot with a hose it would start raining in the basement. If he’s lucky the wall won’t be rotted and can just correct the leak and be done with it. Step #1 of this project is “Not to start ripping out brick” it is take off a couple courses of vinyl siding above the brick which doesn’t even require any tools and see what you got. Vinyl Siding is not water tight. It never has been and probably never will be. It’s all about the prep work (paper, flashing, etc.) behind the siding that prevents leaks and protects the house.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 04-06-2010 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:59 AM   #10
Learning by Doing

No surprise that a perceived DIY project is actually a different than supposed.

I look at this and assume that OP is not the only one with this problem. So, if you live in the central unit of a four unit complex that has the same problem are you doing any good to fix it?

OP likely has no privity to sue.. but I still wonder how long the builder who threw together this mess has been out of business????
Old 04-06-2010, 03:06 PM   #11

jomama45, thanks for the help..... I actually pulled a few rows of siding off a couple months ago and found a line of OSB damage coming down from the window. I assumed this was the entire problem, but we replaced the window and rewrapped the house and still have the problem. Recently I pulled the siding off at that spot again and could not find any moisture. I also used a moisture meter and poked a few random spots and couldn't find any moisture there either. However, I can't be certain without removing the house wrap.

As far as siding and color matching, I'm so sick of this leak problem that I could really care less about minor things like that anymore. I just want to find the problem, determine how to correct it, and be done with stress.

kwikfishron, I TOTALLY agree the bricks might not be the problem, but with all the mold on the OSB behind the bricks I don't really have a choose do I??? They'll have to come down regardless if the leak is there or not. Right???

I also realize the flashing is not installed properly, but I've siliconed the flashing so good that I KNOW there's no way the amound of water I've seeing could be entering from the area between the brick and flashing.

Leah Frances, I've spoke to four neighbors who all say they don't have any leaks, but I really doubt they'd even know either way, because the only way I located the problem was by removing some trim at the bottom of my wall and exposing a small amount of mold. I then removed some drywall and discovered wet insulation. I then removed the insulation and found water damaged OSB. So my point is, unless they've inspected like I have, they might not know they have a problem.

I guess I'm going to have to remove the siding and rip down the house wrap in order to inspect the OSB properly and search for any leaks above the brick level. However, I don't see any way to avoid removing the bricks to inspect the OSB and studs for water damage. I believe I can repair any damages, but the brick work is way out of my league. I wish I knew how much a job like this would cost (just the brick work).

Thanks for all the help!!
Old 04-06-2010, 05:17 PM   #12
Mod

The best way to find a “Mystery Leak” is to get a hose or pressure washer and with someone on the inside and slowly and systematically start working the hose from the bottom up. You will find your leak.

If “I” had the wall opened up on the inside as you have, “I” could get the osb out of there and replace it (with CDX) without destroying the brick. All I’m trying do here is save you a couple grand.

If I was doing it you would see at least a couple inches of flashing coming under the J and over the brick and 3” up the wall "behind" the paper.

Throwing 5 tubes goop at the problem never solves anything.

Did you check to see if the window was installed properly. Is the housewrap over or under the bottom nail flange on the window? Critical detail but one that gets screwed up all the time.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 04-06-2010 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:27 PM   #13
Concrete & Masonry

Hate to say it Rick, but as a mason, I still feel your going to have to take that brick down to repair it properly. The sills need more angle to succeed long term, there needs to be weeps installed along with an open cavity behind, & there needs to be some major flashing/detailing done at the base of the wall, as there doesn't appear to be a sunken brickledge on the house. The foam sill sealer won't stop that water alone.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:40 PM   #14

NOT SURE WHY THE FORMATTING IS CRAZY???? SORRY FOR THE LONG PARAGRAPH kwikfishron, I've actually used the hose trick on the bricks, but I'll get back out there and do that again (focusing on the siding and J channel this time). I don't know how you could replace the OSB behind the brick, but I guess that's where skill level comes in. Maybe I could find a carpenter to do this, but that might defeat the purpose of saving money (seems like I'm either going to pay a carpenter or a mason).The flashing is up under the house wrap properly. It just doesn't fold back down over the brick, which I've siliconed very generously. I do think the window was installed properly, because I watched the installers. One of the guys was a close friend and he taped, wrapped, and caulked EVERYTHING!Jomama45, check these pics out of the side view of my bricks. The first is my neighbors (with the space behind the wall) and the second is mine.
</p>

Last edited by RickDel; 04-06-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:15 PM   #15
Mod

Well, in your latest picture I see the flashing that I couldn’t see in the other pic’s. That is done right (if the wall side goes behind the paper). What you have to realize when it comes to siding leaks (and roofing for that matter) the only way water can get to the sheathing if it gets behind the house wrap. One quick note on house wrap, Tyvek and the like are only, vapor barriers and not moister barriers, 30ld ASTM felt is all I use. Oil soaked felt, water and oil don’t mix. That aside assuming your house warp is truly a moister barrier the only way it can leak is were water is getting behind the paper. Where is that happening? I can only guess without being there or having more pic’s with the siding removed showing water damage (remember, Vinyl Siding is not waterproof water can blow in at the laps, around the J-channel and other places).

When I side a house before I even put the first piece of siding on the wall I know that just my prep work (paper, flashing, etc) alone is enough to make the house not leak, after that the siding is just icing on the cake.

The first thing you need to do is find out the origin of the leak which is fundamentally simple to do and then after that and only after you have conquered the source of the problem and resolved that issue then you can decide the course of action to repair the damage. If you have to tear out the brick than so be it but I’d do everything possible to avoid that.

Back to your original question, if I was your neighbor it would **** me off if you installed a wart on the wall.

Good Luck.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 04-06-2010 at 09:30 PM.