DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Basement Insulation question

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  tophercole 
#1 ·
Hi all. I have a question on insulating my basement. I have a basement that is below grade on all four sides. Picture a square cut into 1/4s. I will be leaving 1/4 of it unfinished for furnace and storage. So the finished area will be the 3/4 that form a 'L' shape. I have run framing walls around the perimeter. When I come to the utility room I built a wall that comes in off the perimeter to the center and then a 90 degree turn and back out to the perimeter. This interior utility room wall will not be insulated.

The other walls will be insulated with unfinished batt insulation w a vapor barrier (NJ/town code requires VB). The issue is that one of the basement interior walls is about 3 feet in from the exterior concrete wall. This was due to the sewer pipe and some ductwork hanging below the joists, so I had to put the interior wall about 3' inwards, running about 30 feet. This "area" will be accessible though not used. (Well, maybe, I could store some folding chairs and folding table in it...). How do I insulate this wall?

So:

1. Do I not insulate the wall in question?
2. Do insulate it with batt insulation? If so, do I have to cover the "storage area" side with plastic or something to prevent anyone from touching the insulation if they use the area.
3. Do I not insulate the wall, but maybe use rigid foam insulatation on the concrete wall in that area?
4. Something else?

Thanks in advance for any help.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.