Basement Insulation/finishing Help - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-14-2010, 07:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Basement insulation/finishing help

Well, they say getting started is 90% of hte work, and finishing is the other 90%. I'm in the finishing 90% now. Here's my situation -

We are trying to insulate our post-war bungalow's walk-out basement because our 8 inches of concrete provide about the same r-value as a sheet of paper. Because I was reading it in the middle of the night, I guess, I misread the buildingscience.com website to think that we could frame up a 2x6 wall and stuff it with batt insulation and only need a vapor retarder on the inside. I did that, being careful to keep the stud wall at least a 1/2" from the concrete, and using pressure treated lumber for the sole plate. Turns out that's a perfectly good assembly - unless you live where we do and its cold and wet for 5-6 months.

Now that I have to commit to covering over the wall, I am fearing that I could have a lot of condensation on the chilly inside of that concrete wall. The better thing to do would have been to put 1/2 of rigid foam between the stud wall and the concrete to prevent condensation. I can't very well go back and put it in now, though. So, what to do?

Also, keep in mind that the outside of the basement walls appears to be precast concrete decorated with a layer of stucco - nothing at all
to prevent moisture vapor from penetrating.

Thoughts? Ideas? saviors?

Advertisement

dreid47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Basement insulation/finishing help

Btw - I used roxul batting and applied xypex to any areas that showed signs of moisture penetration - on one wall with no gutter, it was the entirety of the area that was below grade. On the other wall, just where a couple of large plants are established near the foundation. The other 2 walls are completely above grade except for the bottom foot.

I can still take the batts out and paint on more xypex or drylock, but that wouldn't solve the potential condensation problem.

thanks

Advertisement

dreid47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basement , insulation , moisture , retrofit , vapor