Basement Insulation: Drylok First? Advice Needed - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2010, 08:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement Insulation: Drylok first? Advice needed

Looking to keep the heat in my house this winter (aren't we all). Doing some research found out the a lot of heat loss is through the basement. Question is should I put Drylok on the basement walls, block foundation, or just put the xps up? Also what is the minimum thickness I can get by with for the foam? Trying to keep costs low and still have something I can use.

Advertisement

whiteblur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,464

law of diminishing returns applies to the insulation & the thickness depends on ambient temp inside & lows outside,,, insulation retards the rate of transfer,,, w/' drylock ' type products, do a moisture test 1st - you may find the water's inside condensing on the cold wall,,, personally, we never use it professionally no matter what the guy i the apron store sez ,,, don't go cheap & do it right,,, be a shame to have to revisit this work

Advertisement

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:58 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 852

i have seen xps mentioned before on here-what is this stuff?
federer is offline   Reply With Quote