Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2010, 10:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 81

Basement Insulation

I want to insulate my concrete block basement walls with foam board insulation, and use furring strips to install paneling. My question is

1) Iinstall the furring strips 16" on center and insulate between each strip?

2) Insulate the entire wall first, then place the furring strips on top?

If (2) above, then what do you do with the gap that will end up between the foam board and paneling?

Lastly, using foam board, is it still necessary to use a vapor barrier? I know it is if using fiberglass batting, but not sure if needed with foam board.

cougar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:03 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Basement Insulation

I'd glue the foam to the wall, tape and caulk the seams, then stud over it. If you want more R, fill the stud cavities w/ cellulose batts or mineral wool. They are both better insulators than fiberglass, and can deal with moisture better. I believe the consensus is to NOT use a vapor barrier in a basement, as the moisture that WILL get out can not dry to either side, so it stays and molds/rots/etc. See buildingscience.com and/or greenbuildingadvisor.com. Google Joe Lstiburek (and hope I spelled his name right. If not, he is mentioned all over gbadvisor). BTW: Use all the foam you can afford if you are in a cold place; the ground down a couple of feet can get pretty chilly. 8' down is not too bad.

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote