DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Basement insulation

4K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  organick 
#1 ·
I have been doing alot of reasearch on insulating my basement befor finishing. It seems the DOE is recommending xps on the block wall and then fiberglass batts in the framing? The info is a liitle hard to decipher http://www.eere.energy.gov/buildings/building_america/pdfs/db/35017.pdf

can anyone way in on this or point me in the direction of additional legit info??

#3 ·
Thoroseal on the walls followed by XPS on the block/Thoroseal walls. The thickness of the XPS is up to you and your climate, but the temperature of the soil behind the wall is always much higher than the outside air temperature in the heating season and cooler in the cooling season (it is a great and valuable temperature moderator).

If you choose to build a frame wall in front, that is OK. Use a pressure treated plate, but you can use untreated for the studs. The studs should be attached to the plate with nails capable of surviving the plate wood treatment chemicals. The space between the studs and the XPS is up to you, depending what you might be running in the wall.

I would never use fiberglass in a basement wall because of the ability to hold moisture and never dry out. I have seen too many "accidents" (slab leaks, plumbing leaks, floods, etc.) that will require removal of the fiberglass before the mold starts.

Consider what you are going to do about the floor, especially if you are in a cool climate, since it has a very large area (maybe more than the wall area) and the soil temperature of the floor is about the same as the temperature of the lower part of the wall.

Dick

#5 ·
I have seen both the separate xps sheets in 2'x8' sheets where you use furring strips in between each sheet and the ready-made panels already incorporate the xps and the furring strips - but in both case, I'm pretty sure the drywall needs the furring strips to hold on to.

You don't need 2'x3' or 2'x4' walls to put up xps...but you do need some sort of support to put up walls with drywall.

#7 ·
Look at a product called "InsoFast"; same idea.

#11 ·
Owens-Corning are the makers of the furring strip xps sheets. Use the link at the top of this page...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.