DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

basement insulation

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  jaros bros. 
#1 ·
Scenario

• I'm finishing off my basement. It's a small room (about 300 sq. ft.)
  • The furnace and sump pump have already been boxed off with studs.
  • The rest of the walls have metal furring strips, which the drywall will attach to later.
  • It's directly below our living room.
  • The basement is almost entirely undergound. The parts that aren't are adjacent to the garage and another room in the basement (split level).
Questions

• Should I use insulation downstairs? Our area is rated for R11.
  • Can I get those blue or pink sheets or do I need fiberglass?
  • The reason I didn't get studs was because it took more room in an already small area. I figured some insulation (even if below R11) was better than none.
  • Would it be worth removing the metal furring strips and replacing with studs? This will be our new family room (tv, video games, etc.)

See less See more
#3 ·
Studs are more preferable. You can run receptacles in them and mechanicals. You also need a vapor barrier in the basement. Insulation is a good idea but you can just butt fiberglass up against the concrete. Concrete is like a sponge and you'll have moldy fiberglass in no time. Foam is a better idea...closed cell, because it will insulate and create a vapor at the same time.
Josh Jaros

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.