Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2008, 07:06 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Basement Garage, Jackposts?

Ok, we have a minihome 16'x72' that we are lifting, moving back 15', putting in a basement with a drive in garage and then moving the house back onto the basement. We plan to start in the next couple of weeks.

In order to get our building permit, we need to show the planning commission where our jack posts will go in the basement.

Does anyone know where I can find out what the code is? We think it might be every 8 feet, but that throws a wrench in things since our garage doors are 10 feet wide Anyway, we just don't know where to look for Canadian building codes. Anybody have any ideas where we can look?

OW3Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:33 AM   #2

I believe this type of thing would be more substantiated by the structural requirements for the building rather than code. In the states all I had to show was the engineer's stamped flooring design, and go for it...the code officials didn't question the support placement. Are you working with an engineer? They should be able to tell you exactly where the supports will need to be placed. It sounds like if you are not, you may want to consult with one.

I jacked up my house from a couple of residences ago to remove the crawl space, and pour a basement. We just cribbed it up about 2 feet higher than the basement top elevation, poured the basement walls, and lowered the house down when it was done. It was quite easy...and didn't have to move any thing. We lived in the house while it was in the air. Talk about odd -- walk through the house and having the whole thing sway.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RippySkippy View Post
I believe this type of thing would be more substantiated by the structural requirements for the building rather than code.
Rippy's dead on. There are a multitude of structural factors that will determine the spacing, as well as the footing requirements between the posts. No, you can't just sit them on the slab.

Another thing to consider is the probably requirement of isolating the basement garage from the rest of the house. That's a fire requirement in the International Code (solid core door, sheetrock EVERYTHING, including the posts). Not sure if Canada requires it, but I'd check! Sources of combustion (your furnace or a water heater older than about 3 or 4 years) have to be elevated if in the garage as well, and that could be an issue in the basement.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post

Another thing to consider is the probably requirement of isolating the basement garage from the rest of the house. That's a fire requirement in the International Code (solid core door, sheetrock EVERYTHING, including the posts). Not sure if Canada requires it, but I'd check! Sources of combustion (your furnace or a water heater older than about 3 or 4 years) have to be elevated if in the garage as well, and that could be an issue in the basement.
The garage will be completely separate from the rest of the basement, we already have that planned out.
Our hot water heaters are on the main floor already, so they probably won't be going to the basement at this point. Our wood stove is also on the main floor. I think we are putting an oil furnace in the basement, but that will be separate from the garage.
OW3Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:56 AM   #5

If the current house is structurally sound then I would put the supports in the same place they are right now.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogr View Post
If the current house is structurally sound then I would put the supports in the same place they are right now.
Uh, no...He's moving the house back 15'. That changes everything.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Uh, no...He's moving the house back 15'. That changes everything.
But then he's moving it right back.

Either way what I meant was that his house should be supported at the same load points that it is currently supported. Those locations will need to be on new footings/foundation, posts etc. to accomodate the new basement.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogr View Post
Either way what I meant was that his house should be supported at the same load points that it is currently supported. Those locations will need to be on new footings/foundation, posts etc. to accomodate the new basement.
Sorry, I mistook your post. Good call!