Basement Framing Vapor Barrier - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-23-2010, 04:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement Framing vapor barrier

I started working on remodeling my basement (Wisconsin). My plan was to install 2x2 furring strips using tapcon screws then install 1.5in foamular and cover that with 1/2in basement drywall. This is the way that I have helped a friend finish his basement, but I am not sure if thats the correct way of doing it. I would like to use furring strips since part of the room already has them and I dont want to lose the thinkness of the walls in the room. My basement is very dry, and has never had any water in it. I was told that the foamular acts as a vapor barrier and no plastic is needed. I am not sure if that is correct or not. Thanks for your help

Advertisement

Last edited by emccarthy2; 03-23-2010 at 04:13 PM.
emccarthy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Welcome emccarthy2 and rather than answer your question directly Id rather leave the following link...
http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...ent-insulation
I got the link above from another long time forum member. I have found that they have very reliable building procedures like the ones your asking about. You can further your search within the site itself if you so desire.
Good luck

Advertisement

Mudball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:35 AM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

not enough insulation to prevent condensation on the foundation wall. 2" minimum is needed. Attach this directly to the wall to provide the correct barrier to the warm air hitting the cold wall. No vapor barrier should be used.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basement finishing , framing , vapor barrier