Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2013, 05:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Basement Framing and Insulation

I am looking to finish my basement in the near future. My home was built in 2011 and is located in Minnesota. I have exterior insulation and poured concrete basement walls/footings. Does anybody know if I should add more insulation on the inside of the walls? If so, what kind? Since the exterior insulation acts as a vapor barrier do I need another one on the inside? In regards to the flooring; with a new build that is completely drain tiled, do I need to worry about laying down carpet directly onto the concrete?

und4512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
Haverhill Trade 1965

I would see if You could find out if there is poly under the slab. Just because it looks dry does not mean moisture is not wicking through the concrete. Maybe at least some vapor barrier concrete paint should be used.

Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:06 AM   #3

Most homeowners who do alum. studs wish they had never started. In many situations in a project like this, you need to get creative, such as around basement windows and possibly at soffits, to conceal pipes and ducts. Alum. studs add one more layer of challenge. Unless you plan to use 2 by 6 walls for insulation,you will need R-13, which is the max. you can crowd into a 2 by 4 wall. You don't need insulation in the partitions.
brenmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:15 AM   #4
Not so new

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenmurphy View Post
Most homeowners who do alum. studs wish they had never started. In many situations in a project like this, you need to get creative, such as around basement windows and possibly at soffits, to conceal pipes and ducts. Alum. studs add one more layer of challenge. Unless you plan to use 2 by 6 walls for insulation,you will need R-13, which is the max. you can crowd into a 2 by 4 wall. You don't need insulation in the partitions.
Do you mean steel studs?
12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:05 PM   #5
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 22

If you mean you have EIFS, it is not a vapor barrier. A vapor barrier on the cold side in a cold climate could lead to real problems. Metal Studs are generally very thin galvanized sheet steel, not aluminum. They make a lot of sense in a basement to me as wood tends to rack and twist. If you use wood, use Douglas Fir or Hem Fir as it is a lot more stable than your typical SPF big box, garbage grade wood.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:25 PM   #6
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 42

What type and depth of insulation to the outside?

That will somewhat determine what you will need in terms of insulation and vapor retarder levels.

Was there any under slab insulation installed?
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:06 PM   #7
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 22

The insulation you have on the outside of your home has nothing to do with your basement, unless you have an unusual type of constuction. EIFS does not continue down past grade, and is supposed to end above grade, with weeps in the bottom. Conventional Framing in the basement usually stands off the foundation wall about three inches to allow for irregularities in the foundation, and running of electrical and plumbing services. Insulation is usually added between studs for added R-Value. If you set your framing in enough you can use faced 6 inch bat fiberglass for insulation in the walls.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:48 AM   #8

Short answer is yes - you need additional insulation on the interior side of your basement. I live in a similar climate and have 2" rigid insulation on the exterior side of my foundation walls and still installed regular batt insulation on the interior side when I finished my basement.

In regards to the vapor barrier, call and talk to your local inspector and see what he is going to require. The insulation on the exterior side isnt going to count as a vapor barrier.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:09 PM   #9

here is a link that i am reusing from another post
http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...lation-systems

jaydevries is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basement framing, basement insulation, vapor barrier