Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2012, 11:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement Framing - Help!

I'm reaching out to the DIY'ers and pros for some guidance on how to handle this issue. The foundation on the outside wall is raise about 2', so the outside structural framing begins 2' above the floor. A concrete lip of about 1"-1.5" exists between the treated pine and the edge of the foundation (see picture). When I finish this basement, I want the living space to look as if it weren't a basement - as if it were upstairs living area as much as possible.

The two options I can think of are:

1. Frame a wall from floor to ceiling just inside the foundation to allow outlets and a clean finish (no bump at 2'). <--- desirable but adds cost/labor/time

2. Frame a small wall to the top of the foundation and connect horizontally roughly 6" of flat surface at 2' high to meet the existing outside framework. <--- less desirable

What are your thoughts? Am I missing other options? Would you have pictures or examples of this in other projects?
Attached Thumbnails
Basement Framing - Help!-img-20121012-00433.jpg  

amoore83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:33 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,944

Basement Framing - Help!

There's well over 1000 post on basements. Take a few min. and look for the search buttom on the top right.
Easyest to just build a wall from floor to ceiling. Make sure to use a pressure treated bottom plate.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Basement Framing - Help!

If you are handy, you could build you a set of benches along these concrete rises.

Ironically, what I am suggesting here is like a window bench...

Furthermore, you could probably just build the bench all the way around... ideas can be overwhelming.
oodssoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to reality

Basement Framing - Help!

What will you be using the room for? The reason I ask, if you are putting a pool table in the room it is nice to have a ledge to keep the chalk and more importantly cold beer. But I would build it around 42" to top of finished product. If it is going to be a extra bedroom I would frame complete walls.
reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:58 AM   #5

Basement Framing - Help!

reality

I should post more pictures, this foundation height is an issue throughout the basement. My plan is to add a mother-in-law kitchen, rec room, dining area (picture in original post), two bedrooms, full bath, washer/dryer room, utility room, and storage area. The dining, rec room, and one bathroom have the foundation raised. I'll put a few more pictures up tonight. Thanks for your help so far guys.
amoore83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to amoore83 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (11-08-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 07:30 AM   #6
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,028

Basement Framing - Help!

another thing you could do is fur the wall above the foundation bump out and when the drywall goes up, glue the moisture control drywall down onto the foundation. probably better to build a wall there though if any electrical or plumbing will be added into the wall.

hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote