Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2008, 04:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Basement Framing - Floating Slab

What resource (book, on-line) would you recommend for instructions on how to frame walls for a FLOATING SLAB basement?

I am handy but I have never framed an entire basement before, plus using the floating slab technique. The basement in 1,050 sq.ft. and I was quoted $1K in labor PLUS the cost of lumber to have someone do it for me. If I can save $1K, I would rather do it myself.

Does $1,000 sound like a fair price for labor to frame walls for a basement? It's a walk-out basement with a bathroom and storage closet area, the rest will be open. 1,050 sq.ft.

JackOfAllTrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

depends on exactly what they will do. just framing? alot of cutting to fit around furnace, ductwork, plumbing ect... Is this a company? or just a couple of fellows working for cash?If your going to have it done it will cost you . labor is never cheap! I would recomend a licensed builder to ensure it is done properly and to code otherwise you may be out $1000. after they screw it up for you.

big daddy-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackOfAllTrades View Post
What resource (book, on-line) would you recommend for instructions on how to frame walls for a FLOATING SLAB basement?

I am handy but I have never framed an entire basement before, plus using the floating slab technique. The basement in 1,050 sq.ft. and I was quoted $1K in labor PLUS the cost of lumber to have someone do it for me. If I can save $1K, I would rather do it myself.

Does $1,000 sound like a fair price for labor to frame walls for a basement? It's a walk-out basement with a bathroom and storage closet area, the rest will be open. 1,050 sq.ft.
A thousand sounds cheap to me. Unless it's just a couple of walls. Most basements have a lot of soffits to go around pipes and ductwork and such. Also you have to seal the block and insulate.
jiggyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:38 PM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,124

What is so unique about a floating slab?

It is independant of the upper part of the structure, which are supported by the exterior walls and any posts and beams?

Just about every slab in a basement is floating and is not a structural slab. All you have is a concrete slab wirh four walls and the usual obstructions, furnaces, stairways, etc. You probably have many things that you will want that are not fully described - especially for such a low price.

If you want to get the most out of the space, do some planning on what you want yo do about the ducts, pipes, posts, beams, etc. It is cheap to go straight and drop the ceiling, but that is not what most people want to do.
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggyjack View Post
A thousand sounds cheap to me. Unless it's just a couple of walls. Most basements have a lot of soffits to go around pipes and ductwork and such. Also you have to seal the block and insulate.
It is just a couple of walls. I am NOT doing the ceiling, as I am installing a drop ceiling, no drywall.

The walls already have insulation and a moisture barrier. I will install another roll of R-19 once the walls are framed.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:11 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

R-19 will not fit a standard 2x4. the more compressed the insulation is the less effective
big daddy-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:28 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,224

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
What is so unique about a floating slab?

It is independant of the upper part of the structure, which are supported by the exterior walls and any posts and beams?

Just about every slab in a basement is floating and is not a structural slab. All you have is a concrete slab wirh four walls and the usual obstructions, furnaces, stairways, etc. You probably have many things that you will want that are not fully described - especially for such a low price.

If you want to get the most out of the space, do some planning on what you want yo do about the ducts, pipes, posts, beams, etc. It is cheap to go straight and drop the ceiling, but that is not what most people want to do.
I think he is actually referring to having to float the walls as he is apparently in the area of Colorado where highly expansive soils are present. In these areas code requires that the basement walls are actually hung from the first floor joists and float 2 or 3" above the slab. Pins are used to prevent lateral movement.

Jack, Framing is a lot of fun. If you are not in a hurry and want to save a few $ then go for it. Just be sure you understand the details.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogr View Post
I think he is actually referring to having to float the walls as he is apparently in the area of Colorado where highly expansive soils are present. In these areas code requires that the basement walls are actually hung from the first floor joists and float 2 or 3" above the slab. Pins are used to prevent lateral movement.

Jack, Framing is a lot of fun. If you are not in a hurry and want to save a few $ then go for it. Just be sure you understand the details.
You are CORRECT. The wall has to hang from the ceiling joists and cannot be attached permanently to the slab. Except for the pins/nails that attach the 2x4 running on the slab itself.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:20 PM   #9

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,124

I was talking about the very common and typical basement concrete slab that is poured on the wall footings (not connected to the footings or walls). It bears on the footings and the soil below it and "floats" between the walls. If you have expansive soil, it can raise and require a wall with floating connections. - That is why it is important to give your location.

If you do not have expansive soils, your only problem is the possibility of not having proper support uder the slab. A typical floating slab is not a structural slab capable of spanning from footing to footing when the typical poor/rotton/uncompacted soil under the slab settles. As little as 1/8" to 1/4" of soil settlement can lead to cracks.

If you do not have adequate slab support (which is very common), building a wall on the floor and beating into location in the center of the basement between the floor and ceiling/beams can cause floor cracks. If you are adjacent to the exterior walls, that should not be a concern.

Structural slabs are more than the typical 4" or 5" thick floating slabs and have rebar for reinforcement and not just wire for temperature/shrinkage.

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote