Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-11-2011, 12:01 PM   #1

Share |

Basement framing - drywall ceiling question

I am beginning the design for our basement remodel. The first question I have is about options for the ceiling. I'd prefer to have drywall on the ceiling instead of a drop-ceiling. I've attached a few pictures of the HVAC ductwork that sits below the first floor joists. It's a pretty wide section of HVAC, so a soffit would take up half the ceiling and look pretty strange. I'd like to avoid the soffit and make the whole ceiling the height just below the ductwork, leaving about 7'11" of clearance.

1) If I want to put drywall on a level plane below the ductwork (about 12 inches below the first floor joists), how would I go about framing to have attachment points for the ceiling drywall?
Attached Thumbnails
Basement framing - drywall ceiling question-dsc_3983.jpg   Basement framing - drywall ceiling question-dsc_3984.jpg   Basement framing - drywall ceiling question-dsc_3985.jpg  

tmhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:11 PM   #2

Basement framing - drywall ceiling question

Options are numbered in order of my recommendations...

Option #1) Installed an acoustical ceiling tile system (2x2 or 2x4 grids). Installing gwb ceilings in basement spaces is generally not advised because of continual maintenance requirements of the utilities running within the floor deck.

Option #2) Suspended Drywall System: http://www.armstrong.com/commceiling...icle63637.html

Option #3) Use 2x3 members for vertical attachment and to joists and suspend 2x3 or 2x4 members parallel with joists for gwb attachment.

AGWhitehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling, drywall, duct, framing, joist