Basement Foundation Wall Repair? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-04-2011, 05:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement foundation wall repair?

My 100 year old foundation is stone and mortar. The stones range in size from softballs to cantaloupe. The mortar is crumbling and there are stress fractures. I am trying to find the proper step by step instructions to repair this. Can anyone help?

Advertisement

ronnoez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:54 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,286

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnoez View Post
My 100 year old foundation is stone and mortar. The stones range in size from softballs to cantaloupe. The mortar is crumbling and there are stress fractures. I am trying to find the proper step by step instructions to repair this. Can anyone help?
Ayuh,... Is the house still true, 'n level,..??
or is jackin', 'n levelin' required,..??

You'll probably need to form, 'n add concrete, rather than repointing the stones that are there...
Sister what's there...

Advertisement

Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:55 AM   #3

The house is still OK and the outside of the foundation walls have been done. Its just the inside in the basement so I think I can save it I just need to know the procedure. My idea was to remove loose and crumbling mortar a few feet at a time. Do I need to seal whats left or can I remortar at that time? If so what is the best product (mortar) to use? Thanks

Last edited by ronnoez; 12-05-2011 at 06:15 AM. Reason: more info
Old 12-05-2011, 05:46 PM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,286

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnoez View Post
The house is still OK and the outside of the foundation walls have been done. Its just the inside in the basement so I think I can save it I just need to know the procedure. My idea was to remove loose and crumbling mortar a few feet at a time. Do I need to seal whats left or can I remortar at that time? If so what is the best product (mortar) to use? Thanks
Ayuh,... You may, or may not need jacks, 'n posts to support things above yer work,...

Without Seeing what you are seein', I can't say the Best procedure,..
Type S mortar is the Stronger mix...
The stones should be clean, 'n brush wet...
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
ronnoez (12-05-2011)
Old 12-05-2011, 06:33 PM   #5
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,144

I'd go with hydrated Mason's lime with only a little bit of Portland cement mixed in, like 10-15% max. according to Tscarborough, another member here.

Too much Portland cement (Types S is 50% typically) or non-lime replacers will lock moisture in the inside of the wall, which will only degrade the bablance of the lime mortar still in place. Of course, I'm only assuming this is lime mortar based on the age, and my own experiences here in my region.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jomama45 For This Useful Post:
ronnoez (12-05-2011)
Old 12-05-2011, 07:32 PM   #6

OK. Once i'm ready to start replacing the mortar that i've removed how do I apply it. I think i've seen somwhere something that kind of looks like a cake frosters tool if you know what I mean. Also how much working time am I going to have with this mortar typically. Thanks fellas for taking the time to reply.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:42 PM   #7
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,190

You might want to check out This Old House website, they have information on repair of stone foundations. Lime mortar is good, it sets up relatively slowly, is flexible, and will last a long time. The comment on use of portland cement mortar is correct, portland cement mortar tends to be brittle, and is generally not suitable for repointing old stone or brick foundations. Generally when I use mortar, I try to clean the stone well, the mortar sticks better, and I apply using a standard mortar trowel.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
ronnoez (12-05-2011)
Old 12-05-2011, 11:07 PM   #8
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,144

Skip the "baker's bag", it's meant for small filling jobs. A trowel works, but so does a set of rubber gloves.

A batch of lime mortar with minimal Portland should be good for an hour & a half at a minimum, with very little tempering.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jomama45 For This Useful Post:
ronnoez (12-06-2011)
Old 12-06-2011, 12:05 PM   #9

Thanks to all who gave advice. I think i'm ready to give a go, probably take me all winter a little at a time. If you don't hear from me again I probably screwed up and brought the house down on top of me. Have a good X-mas all.

Advertisement