Basement Flooring - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2010, 10:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement Flooring

Hi,

We are living in a new house that was built this summer.
I got a 8' basement with a 3" concrete slab as the floor.
Under the slab I have 1-1/2 inches of foam board insulation and a palstic vapor barrier. All my basements wall have been covered with spray urethane floor.

My question: I want to finish the floor (hardwood) on the small (5' by 5') room that the stairs leading up are in. Do I have to put an insulated subfloor on top of the concrete slab as I have insulation under the slab?

Thanks!

Advertisement

metalmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:53 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Basement Flooring

Well, if that area is conditioned (i.e heated and/or cooled) it doesn't need as much to be insulated as it does allowed to breathe. The insulation under the slab will ensure that the temperature of the slab doesn't get so low as to allow condensation on it and the vapour barrier prevents any moisture from getting to the slab. So it should feel relatively warm...certainly not cold.

But concrete is porous and has to breathe, and has to dry somewhat to the inside so I wouldn't be putting down another plastic sheet on top of it...but I'd leave an air gap and then a subflooring.

Sort of like Dri-Core panels...same idea. Allows air to circulate just in case there's more than a slight problem...

Advertisement

“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote