Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-19-2010, 05:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Basement floor steep slope against wall.. how to frame?

Hey there,

Hoping somebody can lend me some insight on my basement renovation.

I have it gutted, windows are in.. I should have asked this sooner but I have noticed that against the foundation walls there's a big slope inward, its about a 3/4 inch slop over approx 10" and then the floor is fairly level from there.

What are my options on framing on this very noticebly uneven surface? My bottom plate WILL have a gap on the middle facing edge ...

Is there a concrete planer that will work against the wall and only take off the high edge? it's a 46 foot length of wall I will be framing.

yohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:43 AM   #2
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by yohan View Post
Hey there,

Hoping somebody can lend me some insight on my basement renovation.

I have it gutted, windows are in.. I should have asked this sooner but I have noticed that against the foundation walls there's a big slope inward, its about a 3/4 inch slop over approx 10" and then the floor is fairly level from there.

What are my options on framing on this very noticebly uneven surface? My bottom plate WILL have a gap on the middle facing edge ...

Is there a concrete planer that will work against the wall and only take off the high edge? it's a 46 foot length of wall I will be framing.
Why will the plate have a gap? Can't you nail the plate on the angle and then cut the bottom of the studs on that angle?

Old 12-19-2010, 08:05 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,146

like joe's idea ! you can rent scarifiers from major rental yards ( rsc - sunbelt - neff - hertz ) & get to w/i 1.5" of the wall,,, does leave a corduroy texture,,, apron store has diamond grinders w/dust shrouds - they also sell knee pads
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:17 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

that's a great idea, that is what I will do ... however originally I planned on putting dri core as a sub floor, not too sure now as this gap will create too much lift... im inspecting further and it appears as its just a low spot close to the side of the floor - much to my relief.

I'll do as suggested and cut the studs on an angle, much easier to deal with! thanks much!
yohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:25 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,208

I would personally get a concrete crew in to etch the surface with a cutting saw, so that a layer of concrete to level out the surface can be bonded to it. That would be the best way, or use self leveling cement.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote