Basement Floor Leaking After Wall Repair - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2011, 05:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement floor leaking after wall repair

I recently had a foundation crack repaired by a prof basement company. They used what they called "flexible epoxy" to fill the crack, then applied a black membrane over the top of the entire length of the repair (which was from window to floor). This was the 4th time this crack had to be repaired. The previous owners had a different repair company inject with regular epoxy 3 times and said that took care of the problem. We just purchased recently and found the crack was still leaking (we could not tell at the time of purchase because the basement is finished). Now that the crack has been "re-repaired", we are noticing a bit of water seepage through hairline cracks in the basement floor, directly in front of where the wall crack is. We do not see leaks or water seepage anywhere else but in front of this crack. We would like a permanent fix to this problem, but are reluctant to install a french drain system because 1. we would have to tear up even more basement finishing, taking down more walls and removing more carpet...and, 2. we do not see seepage or water problems anywhere else on the wall in question. We have opened up 60% of this wall, with drywall only covering about 40%. Additionally, we have removed all carpet in the entire room affected. Again, we see no further water issues aside from directly near the wall crack. Any ideas on what could be causing the floor seepage now? We feel we obviously haven't really solved the problem. Are we doomed to have to install a french drain to remedy this problem? Again, if it were an issue of water being pushed up from the ground,then why wouldn't we notice it anywhere else along that wall, aside from the crack area? One side note: we are not sure our sump pump is working properly at this time. It works when you do the standard "test", but in our 3 months of living here, we've never heard/seen the pump run. Not once. And we live in the midwest where we've been having plenty of rain/snow melt, etc. Please help!

Advertisement

unfortunateluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:30 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,022

Your house and basement is a like boat. The crack in the side wall is fixed, the water now comes in the next weakest spot, the crack in the floor. Have you regraded the land surrounding your house to move any water away from it? Downspouts discharging at least 5' away from foundation?

Advertisement

Last edited by bob22; 02-15-2011 at 11:30 AM. Reason: clarity
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:55 AM   #3
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,086

The problem - as Bob pointed out - is that your house is a boat. For some reason, there is a lot of moisture on the outside of your basement, and it's going to come in, whether through a crack in the wall or the floor.

In addition to landscaping and gutters, do you have a properly working sump pump in your basement? If not, you obviously need one. Unfortunately, it's also possible that you'll need to have your basement floor cut, and drain tile installed. Depending on the age of the house, its location and builder, there's no guarantee that you have tile even though you do have a sump pump hole.

Last edited by DrHicks; 02-15-2011 at 10:21 AM.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:10 AM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,142

Hairline floor cracks suddenly appearing from now where due to moisture is a very common indicator of a failing draintile/sump pump system. I always warn folks that if they see the cracks suddenly, the first thing to check is the proper operation of the pump. Sometimes the pumps burned out, sometimes the float is stuck in the off position in the crock sometimes the float rod on a pedistal pump is rusted to a point it won't move, etc............

If nothing is wrong with your pumps operation, the next step would be to experiment with the level it's set at. If the pump won't engage until the water is near floor level, that's a problem. There is also a good chance that the interior draintile is clogged at some point.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:43 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

thank you so much for all the feedback. We have not regraded our yard on that wall, but we do have downspouts that discharge 5' from the house. It sounds like the best course of action would be to start by determining whether the sump pump is working and see if getting it working solves the problem. Then if it doesn't, I guess we may have to proceed to the more expensive options. DrHicks, you mentioned that even though we have a sump pump, there's no guarantee we have drain tile installed? How would we be able to tell? There are what appear to be drains on the inside walls of the sump pump. Does that mean we do have the drain tile? And I guess even if we do have drain tile, it could still be failing? It is just so odd that the only place we are having water seepage is right in front of that crack. I have attached a picture if it helps?
Attached Thumbnails
Basement floor leaking after wall repair-basement1.jpg  
unfortunateluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:20 PM   #6
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,086

If you have drains opening into your sump pump hole (I presume they're about 4" of 5" in diameter), then you have tile around the perimeter of your house. I know of no real way that tile could have "failed" unless it collapsed when they were installing it. Typically, the only way in or out of it would be through your sump pump hole, so it's highly unlikely that a critter climbed in and got stuck.

Do you have water dribbling into your sump pump hole from those openings?
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:05 PM   #7
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,142

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
If you have drains opening into your sump pump hole (I presume they're about 4" of 5" in diameter), then you have tile around the perimeter of your house.

There definately "should" be, but I've seen instances where the crock was just retro-fit into a floor by an owner, either due to code compliance, the sale of the house, or they just thought that it would be effective at lowering the water table.

I know of no real way that tile could have "failed" unless it collapsed when they were installing it.

Sediment (soil washed in from the exterior) is the biggest point of failure. It happens, especially in systems that don't have much stone over the ext. tile and have a history of alot of water near the foundation.

Typically, the only way in or out of it would be through your sump pump hole, so it's highly unlikely that a critter climbed in and got stuck.

Do you have water dribbling into your sump pump hole from those openings?
I wouldn't dwell too much on the proximity of the crack to the wall. I don't think it's really going to lead you an answer. If you can, take a picture of the sump crock & put it up here.

Advertisement

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote