Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-28-2010, 05:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Basement floor crack in New construction

Took a stroll out to the new construction site today and noticed a 10 foot long crack (see pics) that is about 1/8" wide, 6" deep, and extends from one wall to another in our new basement floor. The floor is still even at the crack with nothing offset. It was poured 2 months ago, right before the brutal February winter. Could it have something to do with this near 70 degree weather in PA last week or is it just part of the settling process. Note, we do have a sloping lot.

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Basement floor crack in New construction-basement-floor-crack.jpg   Basement floor crack in New construction-basement-floor-crack-2.jpg  

buhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 05:34 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

That is a remarkably straight crack, you might want to see if it isn't a control joint.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:44 PM   #3

Your right, the crack was almost straight as a ruler. I'll confirm with my builder tomorrow. Thanks again
buhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:14 PM   #4

Doesn't look straight enough to be a control joint in the top picture to me.
Could be an illusion in the picture though. The bottom picture looks a heck of a lot like a control joint.

You should check your contract documents regarding the crack. Most builders have "acceptable standards" in their contracts that make clear how severe cracks have to be before they're required to do anything about them.

There are a number of things that could have caused the crack. It sounds cliche, but it is a fact that all concrete cracks. The degree to which it cracks is the thing that varies. Sometimes the cracks are microscopic, sometimes they're like yours, and sometimes you trip over them.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:41 PM   #5
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
It sounds cliche, but it is a fact that all concrete cracks.
Thanks, KC. When I was a young buck in construction, I asked my PM "why do we put control joints in our concrete pours?" His response was "Concrete will always crack. The control joint is our way of dictating where it will crack.

And BTW, in that first photo, it didn't look straight enough to be a control joint.

Jimmy
Old 03-29-2010, 08:46 AM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

I actually think it is a "Zip-Strip", or a plastic control joint that may have been set a hair low, creating a little less straight crack.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:33 PM   #7

BH,
Doesn't look like a control joint. Just about anytime you have an inside corner in a concrete slab, it will generate a crack. As long as the crack doesn't widen anymore than it is now, and doesn't displace itself, I wouldn't worry about it. You could caulk it with the vinylized mortar caulk just to seal it up, wouldn't hurt anything.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:15 AM   #8

Separation is the bigger issue. As long as it stays together, your house will be fine.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:09 AM   #9

its a crk - put some plaster over it & see if the floor ' moves ',,, probably not a big issue,,, i'll guess its due to a column entrant crk,,, ' could it have been prevented ? ' isn't a good question at this point, is it ?

think jo's pulling your leg - zip strip my patoot !
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:30 AM   #10

It probably is a control joint. Every single house in my new construction neighborhood has the same crack in the basement and I was told that it was done intentionally. Mine isn't a perfect straight line, but it is fairly straight.
LiquidSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:39 AM   #11

if that's a control joint, i'm farah fawcett i'd sure as hell like to know HOW it was cut crooked-est straight cut i ever saw diamond blades don't ' fall off ' a line that way, either - they curve

if you've got the same in your bsmts, someone sure didn't know their work however, it IS possible the contractor used stay in place keyways,,, they'd reflect as a jagg'd line IF not set at the right elevation but, unless spec'd, no 1 i know'd spend the addl $ contractors being such tightwads as they are
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
if that's a control joint, i'm farah fawcett i'd sure as hell like to know HOW it was cut crooked-est straight cut i ever saw diamond blades don't ' fall off ' a line that way, either - they curve

if you've got the same in your bsmts, someone sure didn't know their work however, it IS possible the contractor used stay in place keyways,,, they'd reflect as a jagg'd line IF not set at the right elevation but, unless spec'd, no 1 i know'd spend the addl $ contractors being such tightwads as they are
The crack didn't exist originally, but came within the first couple months after basement was poured and they said it would happen and it should be the only one...
LiquidSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:32 PM   #13
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
think jo's pulling your leg - zip strip my patoot !
Quote:
however, it IS possible the contractor used stay in place keyways,,, they'd reflect as a jagg'd line IF not set at the right elevation but,

IRC, that's what a "zip strip" is, stay in place control joint that's below the surface.

http://www.formtechinc.com/other_expansionjoint.htm

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote