Basement Fireblocking Within HVAC Soffit - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-30-2009, 08:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement Fireblocking within HVAC Soffit

I'm in the process of finishing my basement and I have a question about fireblocking. I need to build a soffit around the HVAC, plumbing and various other utilities that run through the center of the basement. Constructing the soffit is not an issue, but I am not sure how to fireblock or draftstop (I'm not sure if that's the right word) this soffit space.

The soffit is about 4'6" wide, 13" tall and runs nearly the length of the basement, except it is interuppted by the utility room.

On the left side of the utility room, the soffit runs up against the concete wall of the basement so I know that fireblocking must be installed belolw the intersection point of the stud wall there. The soffit on that side is about 18' long.

On the right side of the utility room, the soffit hangs in the middle of the space, only intersecting with the floor joists above on both sides of the soffit box. This side is about 22' long.

My problem is I don't see how to place a layer of sheetrock above the utilities- everything is attached to the floor joists above. If I need to install a draftstop every 8' or 10', how do you fit it around the utilities to effectively stop the fire? Also, do I need to close off the space between the joists, and if so, what is the best manner?

Sorry for the list of questions, but I don't want to miss anything here.

Thanks for whatever help is offered.

Advertisement

ssmith147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

ssmith147

I'm doing finishing my basement too and I'm using non-faced fiber glass insulation to fireblock the HVAC soffit. I was thinking of using drywall but like you, I did not know how to go around round water/gas pipes and round ducts. I read somewhere that fireblock material should be non-combustible which the insulation is. I'm not sure if this is the correct way but this is what I'm doing. I even use insulation to fire block every 10 feet on the walls, I just stuff insulation between the stud and the wall. In addition, I also use insulation in the space between the top plate of the wall and the cement wall.

Advertisement

kupalino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:46 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,052

This from our "HOW TO" guides: How to fireblock framing

Be safe, Gary
Old 12-31-2009, 07:36 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the input, guys. I'm going to repost in the referenced thread because I'm not certain that it directly answers my biggest concern yet.
ssmith147 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basement , basement finishing , draftstop , firestop , soffit