Basement Finishing W/Superior Walls & "floating Pad" - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2012, 04:23 PM   #1
Fairlaniac

Rewards Points: 10

Basement finishing w/Superior Walls & "floating pad"

Hello,
First timer here. After years of thinking we'd have the cash to hire someone to finish the basement we've decided to tackle it ourselves after receiving a few estimates. We're ok with the slower timeframe it will take.

I have Superior pre-fabbed wall with the wood strips installed. I also have what I think is referred to as a "floating pad" concrete floor. Another reason for procrastinating has been the occasional water in the basement. Usually during Hurricanes we get ground water from the perimeter on the "floating pad". With that said I plan on using a plastic/rubber sub-floor on the project. what I need to get started is where do I start with the Superior walls and where the floor meets the wall. Fisr on the walls, I have about a half inch strip fastened on them. When drywalling is the 1/2 inch enough? I've used drywall screws into wood 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 inches long? Also on the floor do I use any boards on the floor along the edge where the Superior walls are? I'm a real rookie here so any advice is very much appreciate.

Thanks,
Doug

Advertisement

Last edited by fairlaniac; 02-13-2012 at 06:02 PM.
fairlaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

I feel you are begging for trouble if you don't first get the leakage problem addressed.

Advertisement

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:15 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 598

Most of the leakage needs to be addressed outside before any inside work begins.
Working gutters with long down spout leads, No mulch piled up againt the foundation. Grade sloped away from the foundation.
Waterproof the foundation.
May even need a french drain.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:45 AM   #4
Fairlaniac

Rewards Points: 10

I just installed a second sump pump. During Aug/Sept of 2011 we had back to back hurricanes roll thorough central PA dumping 11 inches of rain on one storm and 9 inches a few days later. My single sump could not handle all of the rain. Gutters and underground drainage take roof top rain about 30 feet from the foundation. Where there is that much volume as in the two storms there wasn't much to be done. I'm hoping the second sump pump will pick up the slack of pump one. With that I am willing to take a chance on refinishing the basement. If we get two storms dumping 18-20 inches of rain again in the near future we'll chalk it up to dumb luck. I plan to proceed forward on the basement, I'll need to find some resources and how-to advice somewhere.

Thanks,
Doug
fairlaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:44 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 528

The problem is the poor joint attachment. i have seen and done several and never had this problem. You need to have them come out and explain how the water is coming in at the corner seam.

As far as the board being enough to attach wallboard, it is enough and will work.

now as far as a second pump, I don't see the need.
framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:19 PM   #6
retired union carpenter

Rewards Points: 250
Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

I too have Superior walls, had the same problem with water in only one corner. I'm in southeastern PA. I ultimately, chopped up the floor in that corner, placed a 5 gallon bucket and submersible pump with float switch, ran PVC piping it out and solved my problem with water. after a hard rain, it may take 3 days for water to seep into the new sump pump. then it may run two minutes then several hours later run again. it may do this a couple days before all the water has ran away from my house.

Advertisement

coupe is offline   Reply With Quote