Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-21-2009, 03:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement finishing order

I am going to start finishing my basement and want to know the correct order in which to apply materials. I live in PA and I have already dryloked all my basement walls. They don't get damp. I only have had a small water problem in about a two foot section in one corner but have taken care of that.

This is my idea: Put up a 6 mil plastic covering on my basement walls. I will hold the plastic up with strips of wood. I will then leave about a 1-2 inch gap and put up my 2x4 wall with my insulation attached to it. The insulation that I am using is 1.5" sheets instead of batted material. I was either going to cut the sheets to fit inside the frame or just attach the sheets to the back of the 2x4 wall but still leaving a gap from the basement wall. After the wall with insulation goes up I will drywall that. So to recap, plastic sheet, 2 inch gap, wall with insulation attached to it, drywall. Please let me know if this sounds okay to do. My biggest concern of course is the "vapor barrier" with the plastic sheet and if this setup would be okay or cause potential problems.

MugsynSax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Basement finishing order

Many basements in Sydney have natural water running under or around them as the buildings are built on rock.

Generally we would set drainage under the surface of the ground around the wall perimeter and extend the drainage outside to be connected to the stormwater. (I know different systems in different countries) And this sounds like it is an existing basement with an existing floor?

We would add waterproofing to the existing walls and then add Atlantis Cell or similar (Plastic type cell membrane sheeting) and glue attach this to mebrane, not direct fix as you may damage your membrane behind.

Leave a cavity (min 50mm or 2") between the existing walls and the new walls. Build the internal walls with a flashing under the wall. The internal wall to have insulation and the wall linings to be moisture resistant or waterproof plus if there is moisture present sometimes we would install an in-line elect fan to ventilate the cavity space.

The insulation to be moisture resistant or waterproof...

Hope this helps.....

davethebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basement finishing, insulation, vapor barrier