Basement Finishing - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2013, 07:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Basement Finishing

Ok, I need a little help.

Hoping I can describe this, as I am not where I can get a picture of it just yet.

I have an old house, built sometime around 1928. It is time for me to consider putting an office down in the basement.

When I bought the house, the basement was finished in knotty pine panelling. It is very thick tongue and groove like you might find in a ski lodge.

The issue is this. There must have been some people who were about 5'4 living here, because they did the panelling, and they dropped the ceiling with a whole frame work to about 6 feet high.

I had no choice but to remove the drop ceiling and then I realized that when they did the panelling, they made very uneven cuts at the top, and it was cut just long enough to be hidden by the very low ceiling.

I would like to leave the panelling up, because it just needs to be cleaned and there is no water damage, or other kind of damage.

If I raise the ceiling from how they had it, it will leave me about 4-5 inches between where the panelling stops and where the ceiling SHOULD meet the walls.

The only thing I can come up with is some sort of perimeter soffit?

Any ideas?

Hopefully this post makes sense.

Thank you!

Advertisement

oldhouseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 696

Basement Finishing

Got a picture?
Why do you plan on redoing the ceiling?

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:23 PM   #3

Basement Finishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Got a picture?
Why do you plan on redoing the ceiling?
I will have to take a picture when I get there tonight. There is no good reason for why they lowered the ceiling. they basically dropped the ceiling so they didnt have to box the beam running down the middle of the basement I guess.

I am 6'5, with a ceiling that was lowered to about 6 feet, its not ideal.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:49 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 696

Basement Finishing

Did you already take all the ceiling down?
Often times there's wiring, plumbing, HVAC lines in the way so they lower it.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #5

Basement Finishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Did you already take all the ceiling down?
Often times there's wiring, plumbing, HVAC lines in the way so they lower it.
Yes it's all down, there is nothing in the way on one entire quarter of the basement. The other side has some pipes for the radiators, but still nothing that couldnt just be boxed, as opposed to dropping everything.

The office I am wanting to build will just be in the quarter where there is nothing in the way on the ceiling.

There is just a cold water pipe that runs the length and goes outside for a hose. I can deal with relocating that, or doing away with that hose, as the house has two outdoor faucets.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:19 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 156

Basement Finishing

How high is it from the basement floor to the underside of the floor joists? Then look at how many pipes and whatnot are hanging down alittle. Lets say your height is 7' and you have many pipes that hang down 2" below and one or two that hang down even further, you can drop the ceiling down to hide those many pipes and just box in those that hang down even further.
Jason34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #7

Basement Finishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason34 View Post
How high is it from the basement floor to the underside of the floor joists? Then look at how many pipes and whatnot are hanging down alittle. Lets say your height is 7' and you have many pipes that hang down 2" below and one or two that hang down even further, you can drop the ceiling down to hide those many pipes and just box in those that hang down even further.
yes. I got that part.

I will have to post a photo to explain what I am trying to figure it out.

The panelling I want to save on the walls doesn't go as high as the bottom of the joists. So if I raise the ceiling up, and try to save the panelling there will be a gap between the ceiling and the panelling.

Last edited by oldhouseguy; 03-23-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:36 AM   #8
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,306

Basement Finishing

You could tack a straight wood ledger near the top of the wall---then use that as a saw guide to make a clean cut------you will need to make the beginning and end with a hand held tool---

I might suggest a multi-tool for those cuts---
Then add a top board with trim to hide the joint---

There are fancy track saws--but all you need is a clean enough cut to be hidden by trim---
Old 03-23-2013, 12:15 PM   #9

Basement Finishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
You could tack a straight wood ledger near the top of the wall---then use that as a saw guide to make a clean cut------you will need to make the beginning and end with a hand held tool---

I might suggest a multi-tool for those cuts---
Then add a top board with trim to hide the joint---

There are fancy track saws--but all you need is a clean enough cut to be hidden by trim---
Ok I can do that, good idea.

But then when I make it straight, what would fill the additional 8 inches or so between new ceiling and where old ceiling was.

My entire problem is that the panelling is not tall enough to reach the new ceiling.

Maybe bring the drywall down from the ceiling and then trim between the drywall and the panelling?

Last edited by oldhouseguy; 03-23-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:27 PM   #10

Basement Finishing

Here you can hopefully see the difference between where they had the old ceiling and where the new ceiling will be.

Trying to save the panelling, but need something that looks professional and comes down from the new ceiling to meet the level of the panelling.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:11 PM   #11
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,306

Basement Finishing

This is where you need to get creative-----Now that I have seen a picture---that could be overlayed with a flat board----possibly with a nice routed edge on the bottom--then a crown molding or cap molding at the ceiling---

How you extend the wall is only limited by the tools you own, your imagination--and your wallet.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:32 PM   #12

Basement Finishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
This is where you need to get creative-----Now that I have seen a picture---that could be overlayed with a flat board----possibly with a nice routed edge on the bottom--then a crown molding or cap molding at the ceiling---

How you extend the wall is only limited by the tools you own, your imagination--and your wallet.
Yeah, I would probably be money ahead just ripping it all out.

But, I probably won't do that.

I was considering possibly building some sort of soffit, but I am just not sure that might look goofy.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:40 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 10

Basement Finishing

Some kind of simple molding/trim board between the ceiling and wall would do the trick. Depends on how fancy you want to get. Simple clean cut of all the boards and then drywall in that space would work too.
Buildr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:45 AM   #14
"You can do anything"-Mom

Rewards Points: 500

Basement Finishing

I'd rip the top of the boards like O'Mike is suggesting then go with a band of drywall from there up. You can paint it any color you'd like.
brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #15
I can fix that!

Rewards Points: 25

Basement Finishing

You could just leave them the way they are and find knotty pine boards 6" wide, or greater, and run them along the top--laying over the top of the uneven cuts (put shims under the new pieces at the top of the wall that are the same thickness as the boards). Then stain to match.

Advertisement

kuhlman is offline   Reply With Quote