Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2011, 12:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Basement Drywall Questions

I’m getting ready to re-drywall my basement after a small flood (3 inches of water) that left behind a lot of mold a year later!
Plan A is to install a 2 inch strip of PT ½ inch ply ¾ inches above the floor, then run a single sheet of greenboard horizontal around the room, and finish it off with standard drywall for the second course and the ceiling. The PT ply will be covered by base board molding.
Murphy’s law says if I do this I will never need to remove the baseboards and PT in case of another small flood, but that is the plan just in case Murphy is wrong this time.

OK, my question! What kind of joint compound and tape should I be using? I found a mold resistant compound product called ProRoc on line, but have no idea where to buy it locally. Home depot doesn’t seem to carry any mold resistant products other than the green board.

Is this a good idea, or am I doing a lot of work for nothing in return?

papageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:21 PM   #2
General Contractor

I have not tried that route.

My SOP is now metal framing sitting on some sort of shim (vinyl exterior fascia works well) to allow water to weep under the sill plate if necessary and GP's Densarmor interior panels on all the exterior walls. I also make sure to use a solid wood baseboard and do lift that a little off the floor as well.

Nobody wants to hear it (and I know it's not my money, but..) the smart money is on managing the water in the first place.

I don't know where my dry wall guys shop, but I know it's not the HD. Call ProRoc. They will be happy to tell you where to buy.

How does your framing look after the flood?

Have fun,

Rory

Last edited by Rory Read; 04-06-2011 at 12:22 PM. Reason: can't type
Rory Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:35 PM   #3

As far as managing the water in the first place, I just installed a Basement Watchdog 12v pump in parallel to my standard 120v pump and ran both pumps through check valves, into a Y, then out the wall. I now have 6 hours of pumping time in case of a major power failure. That is what caused the problem in the first place!

I will call them to see where I can get the ProRoc, I’m sure there is a number somewhere on the web. I was just asking if there are any other products that anyone recommends.

The framing looks great. The previous owner ran floor to ceiling plastic behind metal studs, then ran the plastic under the metal base plate and half way up the inside of the studs. Everything inside the plastic looks great.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:44 PM   #4
I can tie my own shoes

For drywall compound, try the USG version...

http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Ma...atalogId=10053

That is for a sandable 90. Sets up in 90 mins. If you are good, there are 20, 45 mins versions as well. You have to add water to this stuff and mix.

Tape should not be paper-based in the basement. Mesh would be one option. Assuming you do two layers of mud when sealing the joints up, the finish coat could be standard compound. That will take 24hrs to dry. Your choice.
algored2deth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:08 PM   #5

WOW, I just called CertainTeed (ProRoc) and they told me their product was not available in the Eastern half of the US !

I check the link above, but it does not mention that it is a mold resistant product.

Any ideaas on a mold resistant compound that I can use?
Old 04-06-2011, 01:15 PM   #6
I can tie my own shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by papageek View Post
WOW, I just called CertainTeed (ProRoc) and they told me their product was not available in the Eastern half of the US !

I check the link above, but it does not mention that it is a mold resistant product.

Any ideaas on a mold resistant compound that I can use?
Remember, for mold to grow requires a food source, air, and moisture. If you use moisture resistant drywall and mesh tape, that should help eliminate most problems or chances of getting into trouble.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:18 PM   #7

Thanks, if I can't find the specific compound i want, i will at least take those precautions
Old 04-06-2011, 01:37 PM   #8
I can tie my own shoes

I don't think the compounds themselves promote mold growth. When you get the premix stuff, it takes 24hrs to dry. When you get the mix you have to add water to, it will be ready much quicker. It is just a matter of time you want to spend waiting around.

Go here and do a search of the webpage for the word mold.

http://www.homekb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx...options-prices

It also says that the sandable 90 is mold resistant.