Basement Decorative Wood Wall Cover Popping Up - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-27-2010, 04:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 99

Basement Decorative Wood Wall Cover popping up

Hello Folks,

I have a finished basement in my residence. The walls have some decorative wood cover that adds a nice accent to the place, it seems that behinds the wood cover there are sheets of styrofoam and behinds the sheets of styrofoam fiberglass for added insulation. Below are links to photos of the aforementioned wood wall cover (I don't know the name of such thing). It seems that they are popping off and right behind them is the styrofoam insulation sheet. I was wondering about what would be the best approach to reattach and fix them, maybe liquid nail (I don't have a heavy duty staple gun):

[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1163/5121431766_62e29915c0.jpg[/img]

Also, I was working the spray foam insulation (great stuff) in order to fill some gaps, cracks, and openings and then creating an air-tight insulation, as shown below:

But some of the great got in contact with my glove which then got in contact with the decorative wall wood cover as shown below: So I had to use an abrasive sponge to try to remove it and that damaged the finished of the wood wall cover (so now there are ugly spots the decorative wood wall cover). The decorative wood wall cover has some patterns on it, so painting most like would not work well. Would there be anything else that could be done to mitigate such situation?

Thanks for any help,
tk3000

Advertisement

tk3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:23 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

The "decorative wood cover" is called paneling. Paneling is nailed to wood studs. If there are no wood studs at the seams, you will not secure them to the wall. Adhesive will not work as the styrofoam is not a secure base.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Henceforth, keep some acetone around. If the GS is yet damp, acetone will dissolve it instantly. I use acetone to clean the nozzle on the GS can so that I can use it again. I have never tried to dissolve the GS once it is dry. I hope your builder did not do a quick and dirty and glue the paneling to the foam. As mentioned, foam is not much of a solid base, but maybe some of the "Liquid Nails" type stuff will work for a while if there are no studs to nail too. Look carefully at the paneling for brads; very small nails, usually of a color to sort of match the paneling.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
The "decorative wood cover" is called paneling. Paneling is nailed to wood studs. If there are no wood studs at the seams, you will not secure them to the wall. Adhesive will not work as the styrofoam is not a secure base.
Ron
Thanks for the response. I was not talking about glueing the paneling to the styrofoam, but rather using a hammer drill to drill into the concrete wall, and then using concrete nails together with liquid nail in order to afix the panellings that are popping out of place. Alternatively I was considering drill with the hammer drill and then using anrchors and screws for the same effect (but nails would be less visible). Of course in none of the cases would the anchor/screws or nails be held in place by the styrofoam, but by the concrete wall behind the styrofoam and fiber glass. I looked for studs but could not find any, but I will investigate further. Couldn't it be the case that they used concrete nails to afix the panneling and styrofoam directly to the concrete walls?
Old 10-27-2010, 11:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklingel View Post
Henceforth, keep some acetone around. If the GS is yet damp, acetone will dissolve it instantly. I use acetone to clean the nozzle on the GS can so that I can use it again. I have never tried to dissolve the GS once it is dry. I hope your builder did not do a quick and dirty and glue the paneling to the foam. As mentioned, foam is not much of a solid base, but maybe some of the "Liquid Nails" type stuff will work for a while if there are no studs to nail too. Look carefully at the paneling for brads; very small nails, usually of a color to sort of match the paneling.
I don't know if they used liquid nails, but I can see that they used nails/brads. But at first it seems that the used concrete nails to nail the whole thing directly to the concret walls, but that is just a first impression. It may be the case that there are studs, but upon visual inspection I couldn't find any, I will use a stud finder to try to find any stud (it works for drywalls, not sure it will work in such situation though).
Old 10-27-2010, 11:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk3000 View Post
Thanks for the response. I was not talking about glueing the paneling to the styrofoam, but rather using a hammer drill to drill into the concrete wall, and then using concrete nails together with liquid nail in order to afix the panellings that are popping out of place. Alternatively I was considering drill with the hammer drill and then using anrchors and screws for the same effect (but nails would be less visible). Of course in none of the cases would the anchor/screws or nails be held in place by the styrofoam, but by the concrete wall behind the styrofoam and fiber glass. I looked for studs but could not find any, but I will investigate further. Couldn't it be the case that they used concrete nails to afix the panneling and styrofoam directly to the concrete walls?
Unless you explain the walls anatomy from the paneling back, I can't really provide any solution.
What you propose can not possibly work. You need a wood stud wall. You insulate the wood stud wall. You attach the wood paneling to the wood stud wall with nails. If you have no wood stud walls, remove the paneling, remove the styrofoam and remove the fiberglass.
Stud the walls out and refer to the instructions above.
There is nothing you will do to overcome an incompetant installation at the surface. There are no easy solutions to some issues.
So..., what's the walls anatomy?
Ron
Old 10-27-2010, 11:17 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

It seems very odd that they have fiberglass and no studs; I bet you find studs. Otherwise, what is holding the fiberglass in place? They very likely used studs for the FG, then foam boarded over the studs. What are the brads you found stuck into? Are they an inch longer that the thickness of the foam? If so, they must have been at least trying to find a stud w/ the brads. j
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:24 PM   #8

Thanks for your quick and great responses. You saved me from my ignorance. After some trial and error I was able to pinpoint the wood studs with the my stud finder, but still there seems to be lots of margin for error (maybe that extra cheap stud finder is not that good either). I pounded some nails and everything is in place now.

I know how to work with wood (small furnitures), among other things related to a residence; but I am new to the whole house ownership thing and used to live in a country where nothing in house would be made out wood (only bricks and concrete). Ron, as far as anatomy of the walls, I can only tell what I can see: it seems that the basement walls are made out of concrete blocks, but from the basement up it seems to be made out bricks (there is a basement and two floors). jklingel, I did not remove any brad, but I used ones that are maybe one inch long and it seems to hoding it in place. The place (a condo that I bought about 5 months ago) has a finished basement with a drop ceiling using fiber glass sheets/panels and the condo was abandoned for some time (even though it was remodelled and reformed, but lots of work wasn't done properly), so now I am concentrating into insulating it and fixing (gaps, openings, cracks, dislodged) and insulating the ductwork with fiberglass, reflectix, and ductwork sealer, but that is for another post.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:17 PM   #9

By wall anatomy I meant what layers did you have in the basement. In a situation where you have wood paneling, you would have a stud wall or furring strips attached to the wall(foundation) you could nail too.
As you have a drop ceiling, you can look over the top and see what you have. You might need a mirrior due to clearances but you get to see what the situation is.
home owner ship and the associated DIY is a series of problem solving endeavors. You need to see what exist, compare it to what "should" exist and figure out the steps to get from poit A to point B.
On a forum, you need to be able to accurately describe your situation and what you're trying to do.
Many times photos help, but not always.
Glad we could help.
Ron

Advertisement