Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2011, 10:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement crack/ drainage?/Neighbor?

Morning, Ok, so I live in the city, my neighbor took down the line of trees in between our property ( He took them down because of the sap, some were mine and I said yes!, this is 1st place and no idea... ) A while after I discovered a long horizontal basement crack. I patched the crack with hydro. cement. It has been pouring here on/off the last 2 weeks. My crack is all the way back and now leaking.
I am getting a "double whammy" as far as the rain. Neighbors gutters all point directly at my house where trees "used" to catch the water. Someone had suggested that my neighbors drainage is not proper if it's draining directly in to my property and to approach him or go to city zoning? Help!

KarinRomps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:14 AM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,426

As far as I have ever known (in most cases) it has been unlawful to allow your property to drain directly onto your neighbors property (or vi-see/versa). Why not quietly seek the advice of the local building department and go from there?

Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:30 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Hey Bud! Thanks! Reading into the solutions on his part is much cheaper!
KarinRomps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:31 AM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,426

Quote:
Hey Bud! Thanks! Reading into the solutions on his part is much cheaper!
I guess I'm not following that statement.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:53 PM   #5
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,128

Post a picture or two of the interior & exterior, as well as check the interior of the wall fro deflection, if you want legitimate help & answers.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:02 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,336

Who knows when it may have happened. How old is the house? I am guessing that it can be at least 60 or more years old, and foundations do crack over time. My guess is that you just happened to notice the leaking due to the rain, and have never noticed the crack before.

If you are concerned, get a foundation systems contractor to look at it. What side of the house is the crack on, and how far does it go down the wall, and how far from the top of the earth/ground below.

My house is over 70 years old, and only found out that one side of the basement was leaking, due to the gutter had filled up with leaves, even though there was a gutter guard on it, they still got in there, due to birds. After we cleaned them out, and got some of the expandable downspout extenders, no more water in the basement. Nine times out of ten, it is a outside drainage issue, that is causing the water to find a path inside.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 12-08-2011 at 08:05 PM.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote