Basement Condensation - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2008, 07:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement condensation

I'm finshing the basement in my house and noticed on the walls (which are cement blocks) near the floor below grade it condensates. I sealed the walls with a water blocker but didn't help. Makes sense because no water is actually coming in. It seems because the basement is warm and the blocks below grade are cool water forms on the blocks. The house sits on a ledge and its back-filled with shale (we're in NY State). I would like to know is there a way to keep those blocks from condenstating before I frame the walls or is there something I should add in between the studs after framing. I don't think a vapor barrier would be a good thing as it would trap the water behind the walls. Anyone with an idea about this would be much appreciated. Thank you

Advertisement

buckyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,018

Basement condensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckyboy View Post
I'm finshing the basement in my house and noticed on the walls (which are cement blocks) near the floor below grade it condensates. I sealed the walls with a water blocker but didn't help. Makes sense because no water is actually coming in. It seems because the basement is warm and the blocks below grade are cool water forms on the blocks. The house sits on a ledge and its back-filled with shale (we're in NY State). I would like to know is there a way to keep those blocks from condenstating before I frame the walls or is there something I should add in between the studs after framing. I don't think a vapor barrier would be a good thing as it would trap the water behind the walls. Anyone with an idea about this would be much appreciated. Thank you
Get a dehumidifier.

Advertisement

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Basement condensation

Thats kinda what I thought Handyman, but I really wanted to hear it from someone else before I go out and buy one. I was just wondering if there was any other solutions besides that. I think your right though. Do you know if there are any units that you do not have to drain daily and maybe hook up to a waste pipe. I do have sewage pump in the basement and if I could drain it directly into that it would solve a lot of headaches. Thanks for the input.
buckyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 02:10 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,018

Basement condensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckyboy View Post
Thats kinda what I thought Handyman, but I really wanted to hear it from someone else before I go out and buy one. I was just wondering if there was any other solutions besides that. I think your right though. Do you know if there are any units that you do not have to drain daily and maybe hook up to a waste pipe. I do have sewage pump in the basement and if I could drain it directly into that it would solve a lot of headaches. Thanks for the input.
Most dehumidifiers have an outlet feature where you can attach a hose fitting. Instead of buying a garden hose and cutting it, you can buy a female fitting (with hose clamp) and about 8 feet of clear tubing which will allow you to drain directly into your waste pipe.

There are also models that have pumps that can pump the water out once the float is triggered.

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...ifiers#Removal
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:48 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Basement condensation

What we use around here in Canada is 2" rigid insulation (pink stuff designed for basements that interlock R7 / in) up against the concrete with furring strips or an extra 2x4 wall with batt insulation then vapor barrier than drywall. If you install the vapor barrier and insulation you wont get the mixing of cold and hot air that will condense.

We also use in some cases insulation on the outside of the wall and lay a 4' sheet flat below grade. This helps in cold climates so frost doesn't get to the footing or wall.

Matt
mfleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:35 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

Basement condensation

Get the 2" of foam that has the interlocking panels. Make sure to caulk the top & bottom edge. Then put studded wall in front. You won't need a seperate vapor barrior. According to www.buildingscience.com and the US Dept of Energy do not use a vapor barrior in the basement.

Advertisement

PerpetuallyRepairing is offline   Reply With Quote