Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2010, 03:21 PM   #1

Share |

Basement ceiling insulation

This is my first post so let me know if I'm doing something wrong

I have a 1950's ranch house in Western NY. My basement is completely finished except for one room which I use as a workshop and storage. The room is 10'x10' with one window and 2 concrete exterior walls. In the winter the room gets very cold, probably low 50 degrees

Directly above that room is my son's bedroom. In the winter time, the floor to his room is freezing, probably 5-10 degrees colder than the rest of the house. The floor is hardwood with a rug. His room is well insulated with new(er) windows the only problem seems to be the floor.

I'm hoping you could help me figure out how to warm it up. I seems that my options are:

1) Insulate the ceiling of the workshop to keep his floor warmer. I could get some fiberglass batt and stuff it between the joists. It would be relatively quick and cheap, however what I've read tells me it's a bad idea and I won't see much improvement.

2) Frame and insulate the walls of the workshop. I'm not ready for the time and cost, but this seems like the best option. Maybe I could do option 1 or 3 until I'm ready??

3.) Heat the workshop. I feel like the energy costs would be pretty bad to do this and it would make the rest of my basement cold.

Has anyone else had this problem, any suggestions??

ac131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 05:36 PM   #2

It wouldn't take long to frame, insulate and drywall two 10 ft walls and then you'd have a warm workshop, a warm bedroom floor and lower utility bills.

If the walls are nice and flat they even make foam boards that are rabbeted to accept 1x3s. The 1x3s hold the foam in place and your drywall screws to the 1x3s. Very fast and simple. http://building.dow.com/na/en/produc...n/wallmate.htm

jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:42 PM   #3

I'd say frame and insulate the shop.Finish the walls with plywood or OSB(more durable And cheaper than drywall).Mark your studs for shelving, hanging,pegboard or whatever.If you use foam board you should cover it with a non-combustible like drywall.

Last edited by daveb1; 10-06-2010 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Last sentence
daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basement, insulation