Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-06-2008, 08:44 PM   #1

Share |

Basement ceiling insulation

I'm in the middle of finishing my basement and am going to insulate the ceiling with the roll-type insulation and drywall over it. The entertainment room (the primary room I want to insulate) has HVAC, Water lines, etc between almost ever joist. I really want to insulate this room. Any suggestions? Should I just get the insulation under/over the utilities any way I can without smashing it down

floxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:22 PM   #2

Are you insulating just for sound? When using batts just split it around any pipes so that half is in front and half in back, or top and bottom.

jaw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:29 PM   #3
ICF Construction

Also keep in mind *most* HVAC systems concentrate on heating/cooling the main living floors of a house. Did you have a design for the HVAC created for the basement? If not there is a really good chance that the new room is not going to coincide with the rest of the houses temperature. It may be as simple as adding an additional register and C/A return, get it looked at by a HVAC designer. Insulating the ceiling is good for sound but can also impead the quality of the room temperature.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:06 PM   #4
Builder/Remodeler

Be careful when insulating around recessed lighting.

Be sure the housing is rated for direct contact with insulation or you risk the lights overheating and possibly causing a fire.

If you already have a "non-IC" (non-insulation contact) recessed can housing installed, you'll need to keep the insulation back from the light at least 6" (check with the manufacturer for specifics).
ChrWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:28 PM   #5

I am just insulating for sound. I got lucky in that my basement already had a HVAC register in each room, except the bath. We installed a register there. I did look at my can lights and they are rated for insulation. Does that mean I can go right up to them, or should I still leave some space?

Thanks.
floxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:37 PM   #6
Builder/Remodeler

If they're IC rated, you can put insulation right up to them (direct contact).

ChrWright is offline   Reply With Quote