DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Basement ceiling

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Maintenance 6 
#1 ·
I'm starting to finish my basement and I have some plumbing and gas lines that are surface run across the floor joists. I've measured and 1x3 strapping won't be deep enough. I am contemplating using 2x2 or 2x4 as strapping (to avoid reworking the plumbing through the joists) - is there anything drawback to using 2x4 as strapping?

#4 ·
Lower ceiling versus bulk head

Thanks for the info. Another question....

I'm framing a bathroom in my basement, which is below an upper level 2-piece bthrm - convenient for plumbing but does require me to build bulkheads to accommodate the sewer run from the bthrm above. The difference between the low point of the sewer run (which will require a box ) and the rest of the ceiling is 1 to 1 1/2 inches. I'm wondering for cosmetics, should I just building the ceiling down to the lowest point and eliminate the need for an extra bulkhead. Total gross ceiling height would be approx 88inch from floor (+/- a few inches for flooring and drywall), finished height might be closer to 85 inches. Is this too low?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.