Basement Ceiling - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2011, 05:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement Ceiling

Finally finishing gutting and re-framing my long-delayed basement. I will be doing drywall ceilings, and the last bit is framing to build a soffit-like framework to support a section of ceiling that will be lower than the rest. Overall, ceiling will be 8.5 ft but I have to enclose one area with a lower ceiling height (enclosing an I-beam and suspended ductwork about 3.5 feet apart, and the builder used the space between them as a wide chase for electrical, gas and freon pipes). If I enclose the beam, ductwork and space between with drywall hung just below the beam and duct, I can maintain the required 7' ceiling height. The I-beam and duct are too close together to enclose separately within my area's code, so I have to make the 7' height limit.

My question is about the material for constructing supports for the ceiling drywall. I've read many examples... building a ladder-like structures of 2x4's on the flat (good drywall nailing surface but seems awfully heavy to hang from the joists for a 13' span), others suggest using 2x2's (sounds good to me), one suggested 5/8" OSB with 2x2 nailers on the edges (heavy, too). Is there any guidance in the code? The only relevant thing I can find is the nailing or screw frequency for the drywall.

Any advice? Any pointers to relevant code issues?

Thanks,
Guy

Advertisement

DIY_ing_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:45 PM   #2
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 156

Basement Ceiling

so you want to frame a dropped ceiling correct.? you can use 2x3's or 2x4's for this, dont worry about the 13' ft span. build the ceiling frame first, create a perimeter board first.then fill in the ceilings joists, but run them the same direction as the floor joists and have them directly under the floor joists.

from there check the new joists for "true" by stringing a dry line from one end to the other of the room, simpy use scrap blocks to fasten to the existing floor joists and then to the ceiling joist, move the ceiling joist up or down to the string line when its dead straight

otherwise you could do a dropped tbar ceiling

Advertisement

woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
DIY_ing_Guy (10-17-2011)
Old 10-17-2011, 07:54 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10
Thumbs up

Basement Ceiling

Great, this is nice & clear. Thanks!

Guy
DIY_ing_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote