Basement Blocking - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2007, 03:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement blocking

I intend to start finishing my basement in the next couple weeks, and I'm trying to nail down all the framing details before then. The latest question I'm trying to answer is whether I need to install blocking above my exterior wall insulation. I'm planning to use the following wall construction...
  1. Adhere 3/4" Extruded Polystyrene (XPS) directly to the cured concrete wall
  2. Frame a 2x4 stud wall right up against the XPS 16" OC
  3. Put moisture retarding kraft-faced fiberglass insulation between the studs
  4. Surface the wall with 1/2" drywall
  5. The ceiling will be 1/2" dry too
My understanding is that if my framed wall was, say, 2" from the concrete wall I would need blocking above the 2" gap. My hope is that with the wall right up against the XPS, I won't need to do this. Any advice would be most appreciated! Thanks!

Advertisement

ksypal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:43 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Basement blocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksypal View Post
I intend to start finishing my basement in the next couple weeks, and I'm trying to nail down all the framing details before then. The latest question I'm trying to answer is whether I need to install blocking above my exterior wall insulation. I'm planning to use the following wall construction...
  1. Adhere 3/4" Extruded Polystyrene (XPS) directly to the cured concrete wall
  2. Frame a 2x4 stud wall right up against the XPS 16" OC
  3. Put moisture retarding kraft-faced fiberglass insulation between the studs
  4. Surface the wall with 1/2" drywall
  5. The ceiling will be 1/2" dry too
My understanding is that if my framed wall was, say, 2" from the concrete wall I would need blocking above the 2" gap. My hope is that with the wall right up against the XPS, I won't need to do this. Any advice would be most appreciated! Thanks!
Do you mean wood blocking?

I am going to assume that you must mean insulation.
I will also assume that you are referring to the bay above the freezewall wall, the rim joist bay.

If this is what you are asking about, then I would say absolutely yes, you should insulate that area.

If I have this all wrong, my apologies...and ...please clarify....

Advertisement

Old 03-26-2007, 08:53 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Basement blocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
Do you mean wood blocking?

I am going to assume that you must mean insulation.
I will also assume that you are referring to the bay above the freezewall wall, the rim joist bay.

If this is what you are asking about, then I would say absolutely yes, you should insulate that area.

If I have this all wrong, my apologies...and ...please clarify....
I mean wood or drywall blocking. I'm afraid my description above may be somewhat lacking. Since a picture is worth 1,000 words, I'll post a link to a write-up my county did on finishing basements that provides an illustration.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dpwes/p...ts/details.pdf

Check out figure 6 on page 6 of the linked PDF. It shows the example I tried to describe of the framed wall offset from the concrete wall with insulation in between. On top of the insulation they show a fire blocking--2x or drywall or whatever.

So, going back to my original question, do you have a take on whether I'd need to put fire blocking on top of my 3/4" XPS if the framed wall is right up against the XPS?

Hopefully that's clearer now. Thanks!
ksypal is offline   Reply With Quote