Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-22-2007, 03:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement block wll advice

I have a concrete step that was poured without a good footing and over time has dragged the section of my basement wall that it was attached to forward out of plumb leaving significant cracks at the joints all the way along and under it in my basement wall. The cracking has been shoddily fixed by the previous owner and the blocks around the crack have a lot of surface disintegration. If I remove the stairs will survace patching, sealing, and regrading be sufficient or should I get the section of blocks completely replaced? HELP!

dstorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 05:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

I sounds to me like this section has been compromised. I sure a patch could get you by in the short run but if left in poor condition the area may get bigger and it may also not be holding up its share of load and could cause further damage to the home its self. I would recommend to get some advise and quotes from multiple foundation experts or possibly also a mason in your area. You will want to make this decision after you have more information to base it on.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:53 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

I would have to agree with Matt on this one. I myself would not want this coming back to bite me in a year or two because I took the cheaper way out. Getting some professional to look at it can't hurt and then you know more of what needs to be done. Also with saying to get a professional to look at it doesn't mean they have to fix it. You can take their advice and then see what you are able to do and what you aren't and then go from there. I would just hate to see this wall cause you bigger problems later down the road. Hope that helps you out a little and don't forget to let us know how it goes or if you need more advice on it.

Damon
daman3178 is offline   Reply With Quote